Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,710   Online: 742

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

What is the best macro lens ever for 1:1 size?

I am planning to do some slide/negative duplication. So I will buy a macro lens and/or bellows and a holder for slides and negatives.

My main concern is the absolute best quality, I want to achieve uncomprimisingly good results.

What is the best macro lens ever made for this purpose? Which is the best, most precise bellows and slide/negative holders that I can get for my EOS?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What, exactly, do you mean by "best"? Does it have to be mountable to an EOS?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me thinks the OP is looking to start a flame war or a bar room brawl! :o:o:o

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon 105 Micro. Not really sure if it will work on your EOS though. ;-)

Second best? Try Tamron's 90 Macros.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Shawn's got it. I don't shoot Nikon except on my classic Bronica, but I've had a Tamron SP 90/2.5 since I bought it new in the 1980s, and it's been an excellent performer. I've bought and sold many 35mm lenses since then, and that one's always been a keeper.

The Tamron Adaptall II EOS mount is hard to find, but it's a solid chunk of metal with no optics or mechanics, so there are perfectly good Chinese knockoffs.

Now at higher magnifications, I like my Canon FD 35/2.8 Macrophoto, which is an RMS mount lens that requires a bellows.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Kiron 105 f/2.8 macro lens. It's phenomenal, goes 1:1 without any adapters, filters, etc.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with the Kiron Kid. I've been using a Kiron 105/2.8 1:1 Macro lens for my mf Nikons for about 10 years now. It is a fantastic lens in the 35mm format (and I've used a few others). However, you'll have a difficult time finding one for your EOS,...I think. If you do find one, jump on it!

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    What, exactly, do you mean by "best"? Does it have to be mountable to an EOS?
    Well, somehow. I have adapters for Nikon and Contax lenses as well as for Novoflex equipment as I often use those long follow-focus lenses.

Simple definition of "Best": making the sharpest, most detailed pictures with good contrast, let's say "the APO Summicron of macro lenses", the "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch", and somewhat sharper than the real McCoy :-)

Some candidates that were named by friends:

- Tamron SP 90mm
    - Canon 100mm Macro
    - Canon MP-E 65mm
    - Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm
    - Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF
    Last edited by cmo; 05-14-2009 at 02:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Me thinks the OP is looking to start a flame war or a bar room brawl! :o:o:o

Steve
    Nope. I just ask about your experience. I didn't ask anyone to start a religious war...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 1:1 and above the best combination so far that I've found is an Olympus 80mm macro on bellows. I use this with a Nikon camera having converted the rear mount of the bellows from olympus to nikon by gluing two thin extension tubes together - olympus to nikon. You get no connections from camera to lens though, but you can use a double cable release to close the aperture prior to taking the shot. I think the bellows also has an optional slide copy attachment. This isn't the easiest route I'm sure, but if you can find this stuff secondhand, and want to apply a little effort, it's a cheap way of getting outstanding results. I don't know about EOS cameras, are there issues with having no camera to lens connections?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin