Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,372   Online: 796

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    that is interesting. most processing machine do all the films......so all you have to do is put it into the machine and hit go.....maybe they no longer have their changing tents....:o
    I am afraid that's not it.
    They kept a machine that is good for 35 mm film only.

Time to start thinking about developing my own colour films again.
    The good thing is that small, rotatory drum machines are very cheap nowadays. So i guess i'll just do that.

The point was (re a new 35 mm camera at Walart) that they kept 35 mm processing, because there was still enough money in it. Not in 120/220.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    walmart, the high cost of low prices.
    Nice slogan re: Beijing Tire and Supply (WalMart). I'll write that down for future use.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Hello-
    I know that the availablity of new 35mm gear pretty much slim compaired to 4 or 5 years ago. I went to WalMart tonight to drop off some Kodachrome and Super 8 film for send out and I saw a box that said 35mm camera. To my suprise for $200 they had the 35mm SLR that Vivitar is currently offering. It came with a camera body, 50mm lens, Flash and Camera Bag. I know the camera may not be anything amazing, but I think it is a big step with film. I have heard some good things about this camera.....
    It's made in China, like almost everything else sold at WalMart. Not sure what else you would expect from a company whose inspiration is Chairman Mao.

I refuse to enter a WalMart or Sam's for that very reason - even if I get to pay a little more elsewhere, at least I'm not supporting the treasonous Walton family.

... and, I read labels, avoiding Chinese goods when it's possible.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I am afraid that's not it.
    They kept a machine that is good for 35 mm film only.

Time to start thinking about developing my own colour films again.
    The good thing is that small, rotatory drum machines are very cheap nowadays. So i guess i'll just do that.

The point was (re a new 35 mm camera at Walart) that they kept 35 mm processing, because there was still enough money in it. Not in 120/220.
    I find this so odd. I work at the last pro lab in my city and we were just talking last week how Medium format is almost double compared to 35mm when it comes to color processing. 120 certainly out sells the 35 in color and is about 50/50 on the B&W side.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find it mostly very annoying.

It is a tiny operation, run by the owner of a camera shop.
    I don't know why 35 mm still makes economic sense, but strongly suspect that it is because it always has been the bulk of what they were given to process anyway. Not many 120 film shooters around here, compared to 35 mm shooters.
    And, i think, of the local 120 users, many may think the outfit too small to trust their films to. If so, they were wrong.

Still, instead of giving up completely, processing 35 mm appears to still make enough sense to this outfit to keep the machine running, and the people operating the thing busy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    It's made in China, like almost everything else sold at WalMart. Not sure what else you would expect from a company whose inspiration is Chairman Mao.

I refuse to enter a WalMart or Sam's for that very reason - even if I get to pay a little more elsewhere, at least I'm not supporting the treasonous Walton family.

... and, I read labels, avoiding Chinese goods when it's possible.
    I am the sort of the same way. The camera is made in China. I HATE things made in China, but sometimes it is impossable to buy some things American made. There is still stuff you can find at WalMart made here. Those are some of the only things I will buy. The main reason I was in WalMart was to drop off my American made super 8 film for Americans to process it using American chemicals. Not one ounce of made in China with movies. Even the reels the film comes back on are made here! All of my photography is about 90% American. The only thing I can't avoid is the fact that Kodak sends their film which the make here down to Mexico to be rolled. Let's put it this way. 95% of all of the photography I do is using American supplies. The other 5% is the Instant film I use made by Fuji in Japan.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    All of my photography is about 90% American. The only thing I can't avoid is the fact that Kodak sends their film which the make here down to Mexico to be rolled.
    I guess you don't do traditional B&W prints, then. AFAIK, there are no B&W papers being made in the US, aside from very small-scale stuff like what PE does. (I'd call that "hobbyist," but PE has professional expertise.) AFAIK, all the B&W papers you can get from B&H, Freestyle, Adorama, etc. are made in Europe or Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not shot that much black and white, but all I have shot so far has been printed on color paper. . I hope to change that soon. Out of the black and white I have shot I prefer using ADOX which is not USA. I don't mind my photo stuff coming from Europe. I guess it would be safer to say my color photography is 90% American.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've tried, but it's impossible to go through the day without using something made in China.

I was disappointed to see that Ray Ban is making eyeglass frames in China. When it comes down to it, the companies are more interested in boosting profit by cutting production costs through any means possible.

I also check labels, and that's why I know that "Made in China" is part of our daily lives. No matter how much this irks me, you just have to accept it.

However, I don't begrudge the Chinese workers who are trying to create a middle-class society. That can only be a good thing for the future of their nation. Hopefully, the Communist regime will wither and die in China and especially in North Korea. I never buy gasoline from Citgo (because of the Venezuela and Hugo Chavez connection). I doubt my own actions will create any change in those countries or in others led by repressive and/or corrupt regimes (Iran, Myanmar, Zimbabwe, Syria, etc., etc.).

I shoot a good bit of Kodak Gold 200, Portra NC 160, TMax 100, Tri-X and Plus-X, and I also shoot Ilford, Adox and Rollei. I occasionally shoot Fuji color film but rarely shoot Fuji B&W (one roll in the past 35 years).

At the moment, everyone in my family and my wife's family drives American autos, although we've owned Japanese cars in the past: Nissan, Honda and Subaru (one each).

I also try to support my local photo retailer when possible, even if it means paying a bit extra for film and supplies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People buy stuff made in China because it's frequently the best bang for the buck. You can't have your cake and eat it too. When someone in another country can do something better and/or cheaper than is done locally, the first reaction of the local company is to yell "subsidy". Steel and lumber are good examples outside of the photo business.
    In other words you can't preach the benefits of a free market economy on the one hand and throw up tariffs or other artificial barriers to trade on the other.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin