Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,822   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Multi Format

Strange camera repair.

I had posted a while ago about my friends Nikon Fe and it's inability to fire at 1/500,1/1000/& Auto.Couldn't figure out how to fix it and nothing came up on a web search.
    I removed the bottom plate and swabbed everything resembling "electric" with rubbing alcohol and now it works! Go figure eh?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I removed the bottom plate and swabbed everything resembling "electric" with rubbing alcohol and now it works! Go figure eh?
    There is a little known problem with solder, more prevalent with modern Pb free solders, of the growth of microscopic whiskers. http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/ provides some info on the issue.

Alternatively, you may have dislodges some $random crud in the process of disassembly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most interesting link Paul c5X4.Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In spacecraft the growth of microscopic whiskers occurs because of the tin content. I do not know if tin is the source for the microscopic whiskers on Earth.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Lead free solder (which grows whiskers and causes shorting) is a recent requirement in manufacturing, it was not used in the original FE as that model was introduced 30 years ago, when it was cool to play with lead and have dangerous chemicals at your workbench. I was a technician at Nikon USA (then imported by Ehrenreich Photo Optical in Garden City, NY). A common problem with electronic cameras is fouling of the electromagnet with oil. Though this would cause overexposure, not the condition you describe, which sounds like no shutter slit at highest speeds. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    In spacecraft the growth of microscopic whiskers occurs because of the tin content. I do not know if tin is the source for the microscopic whiskers on Earth.

Steve
    Good morning, Steve;

Yes, the tin whisker growth phenomenon is the same, both in space and on the ground. Oddly enough, this quirk was first noticed back in the time period from 1946 to 1950. That is the period when the first papers were written. Now everyone knows what happened to the Hughes Galaxy IV communications satellite on 1998 May 19, when it "lost stabilization and drifted out of orbit," taking 85 % of the paging system capability of the United States of America with it. Three months later, the report was issued pinpointing the problem to the tin whisker growth phenomenon. The backup systems still on the ground as apare parts from the time of the launch of Galaxy IV and other systems containing the same type of relay were examined and found to show signs that this is what happened.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin