Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,647   Online: 840

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too large? Not sure about the Mamiya but both the Pentax and the Bronica 645 are lighter or no heavier then my F4s. The F4s is wider. At least it feels that way. A Bronica ETRSI with just the WLF and normal is a fairly small and light package. Of course you'll have to hand crank it like a phone -)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Bronica ETRSI looks nice, but I gotta say I just prefer the advantages of 35mm.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been lurking here gathering information. I'm considering a F4 myself. I have only a F2 and F3 at this point with all non autofocus lenses. The natural step up for me seems to be the F4 as I'm not going to get anymore lenses.

I want to shoot slides and I'm wondering if the shutter on the f4 may be a bit more accurate when compared to the F3 shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I've been lurking here gathering information. I'm considering a F4 myself. I have only a F2 and F3 at this point with all non autofocus lenses. The natural step up for me seems to be the F4 as I'm not going to get anymore lenses.

I want to shoot slides and I'm wondering if the shutter on the f4 may be a bit more accurate when compared to the F3 shutter.
    The shutter on the F3 should be accurate, as accurate as the F4. The F5 has a shutter monitor however.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Those cameras are nice, but they just don't suit my style of shooting, they're a bit too large,
    Last time I saw an F4 I couldn't believe how big it looked compared to my Bronica ETRS.

I remember thinking it was a very large camera just to produce a postage stamp sized negative!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    but I gotta say I just prefer the advantages of 35mm
    Aside from the ability to shoot Kodachrome, I really can't imagine what those "advantages" would be.
    A 35mm SLR would be the very last style camera I'd consider spending more than a 100 $'s on. Especially a camera as big and heavy as an F series Nikon, as nice as they are.
    Since going back to MF, my F3 which I purchased new, has seen very little use, even though I have a nice suite of Nikkor lenses to go along with it. The MF negs are so nice, and the character of the optics are so much better, that I hardly ever choose the 35 over my other choices.

That said, it's not the camera, or lenses, or film format that are going to make you a great photographer, or even a moderately good one. If you can't make great pictures with an N50 and a 50mm series E lens, you won't be able to take better pictures with an F6 and a dozen lenses.

It's easy to think the camera is the secret, and using the same stuff top pros use will somehow rub off on you. I had my first Nikon in High School, before I owned a car. When I finally got the car, if the camera was in it, it's value tripled.

You have already determined that the F5 doesn't suit you, it's not very likely that an F4 will suit you better. Think about what the best tool might be to extend your vision.

Just be careful with it when you go out in the rain.
    Last edited by bdial; 05-17-2009 at 12:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Aside from the ability to shoot Kodachrome, I really can't imagine what those "advantages" would be.
    A 35mm SLR would be the very last style camera I'd consider spending more than a 100 $'s on. Especially a camera as big and heavy as an F series Nikon, as nice as they are.
    Since going back to MF, my F3 which I purchased new, has seen very little use, even though I have a nice suite of Nikkor lenses to go along with it. The MF negs are so nice, and the character of the optics are so much better, that I hardly ever choose the 35 over my other choices.

That said, it's not the camera, or lenses, or film format that are going to make you a great photographer, or even a moderately good one. If you can't make great pictures with an N50 and a 50mm series E lens, you won't be able to take better pictures with an F6.
    Having fast AF, a flash linked to the camera, and plus I already have Nikkor lenses.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm has a lot of advantages over medium format. Motor drives, for one.

When I take photos of my niece and nephew (5 and 3 respectively) I use 35mm the vast majority of the time. They move fast and AF and motor drives help. (I do use an F3HP with them sometimes, for fun, though.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would strongly recommend the F100. Great camera, and a lot lighter than the F4 and F5 bricks. I own an F4 and it's great, but it's super heavy and antiquated in many ways, especially the AF. If you're going to be shooting in strange weather conditions again, and need the extra weather protection, then I would get another F5. I think the F5 and F4 are similar in weight and weigh too much for the small negative they produce. I would look into the F100, great camera for the price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I would go with the F3, but my flash is made for AF Nikon cameras. I'm thinking I'll buy a Leica III and a N90s.
    You would probably be better off just getting the N90s - it was the pro camera between the F4 and F5. Rather than buy another system, I would spend the money on more glass for what you have, or on film.

BTW, if you get caught in the rain again - or expect to, take a plastic bag with you and a few rubber bands. Slip the camera in the bag, poke a hole for the lens and use a rubber band to keep the bag in place. It's exactly the same idea as making a raincoat out of a garbage bag.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin