Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,008   Online: 760

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Nikon F4 opinions?

My F5 is totalled [shooting in the pouring rain=a camera that smells like burnt electronics] so I now need a new camera.
    I'm not too sad about it, but rather am excited to try a new camera.

I'm considering the F4. The F5 was kind of too much camera, features that I never used, like the 8FPS film advance. I also prefer that the F4 seems quite a bit lighter than the F5, and it has the awesome manual controls VS the screens in the F5. I also don't need more than one focus point. I would miss the AF-ON button on the back, but thats it.

My choices are another BGN F5 at $300 or a EX F4s at $350.
    What do you think?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you using manual or autofocus lenses? I'd get a BGN F4s .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using AF-D lenses. Oh, also, will my SB600 work with the F4s? The BGN F5 I had definitely showed med/heavy signs of use, including a broken motor drive mode selector lock, so I would like EX, as it looks almost new.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    While you're making up your mind why not try an N80 off of eBay for $50-75 with 28-80 zoom lens?

I would find one to try out before you make up your mind. I think you actually need to hold it and shoot it to really know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I may be able to borrow a N90s from a friend for a bit, as my other working cameras, Olympus XA and stylus epic, don't look pro enough to get me into some events as a photographer
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want to look legit you need a 4x5. Nobody questions your photographic ability with a cambo and dark cloth. Yashicamats look legit too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yikes, it's hard to kill an F5. I know pros who used them for a decade and they were still going at the end.

Your cameras seem to have high mortality rates, so to me that implies spending less, not more. And I see little point in spending equal amounts for an inferior but better-condition camera if it's going to be dead in a year or two.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Indeed, though 35mm is just a bit easier for the situations that I'm shooting

Jim, this is the first camera I've broken, and I shouldn't have used it in a downpour I guess.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    eh I've used camera's in downpours, its more of how you protect the camera during the weather, not the weather itself. I'd probably go for another F5. I think it'll last longer under your abuse.

Shooter
    35mm
    Marko, I'm assuming you want to stay with Nikon. In that case I think you should look at the F100, if you want to replace many of the features of your F5. Or, look into an F3 and pick up a flash bracket for it to give you that old style press photographer look.

And I agree with Jim, in this case spending less is more.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin