Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,753   Posts: 1,515,917   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One downside on the compact superzooms is that the lenses are pretty slow.. that means at the long end you are looking at f8-f11 usually, and the flashes are pretty weak. So even in bright daylight you suffer the risk of camera shake and blurry subjects in motion. Indoors or in low light... forget using it beyond about 15 feet.

So I myself would not reccomend a zoom beyond about 70-80mm, but at these prices its no big loss. Just make sure to do a test roll with various situations so you know the cameras limitations...

As far as cameras, the oly zooms are OK, but I've read that the nikons and minoltas have better zooms because of the use of ed glass or asherical elements.
    BTW.. that seller actually has a couple of different nikons for sale... if they are brand new then it sounds like a good deal!

Shooter
    35mm
    The Olympus Stylus Epic/Muji is available for very cheap. Almost picked one up locally for $30.
    If your budget is higher, the Nikon 35ti has arguably the best lens of any of these point and shoots.
    The Contax T2 and Yashica T4 are brilliant as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Rollei AFM35 or Fuji Klasse is also worth a look. I have the Mju II and the Rollei and would choose the Rollei every time on image quality and features.

The Rollei has program mode and aperture priority and also has the option of manually focusing, so if you want to zone focus or pre-focus you can. It has a 38mm tessar derived lens with an aspherical element which some photo magazine claimed was the best prime lens they'd ever tested on a compact.

That said, the Olympus is really compact and, in the right situations, can produce excellent results.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I looked for a Rollei Prego 80 but none were on ebay right now.

I found a Nikon Lite Touch 70 for $35, including shipping, Buy it Now, and decided to go with that for now.

I now remember that the camera my wife lost was a Pentax IQ Zoom, 30-90 as I recall.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the Canon Sureshots are awesome.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy

My in laws have one of the the lite touch 70's, nice little camera.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rollei AFM35, simply amazing in every way. Great lens, great exposure, flexible manual options (e.g., manual focus, exposure bracketing). It's fast to focus, fast to shoot. No zoom, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I am familiar with some of the fixed lens cameras, even own one of the fixed lens Olympus Stylus models, but there was a zoom on my wife's lost camera and I am certain that she would want that feature again.

So I guess the question should be, what is the best late model point and shoot with a lens in the 30-70 or 30-135 range?

Sandy
    What will you take for the Ollie Stylus?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My mistake. What I have is not an Olympus Stylus but an older Infinity with a Zuiko 35mm f/2.8 lens. One of the older AF cameras I believe.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    What will you take for the Ollie Stylus?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience the Nikon 35Ti, Contax T2, Fuji Tiara and Olympus XA series have been excellent performers. They do not have zoom, unfortunately.

I have a Fuji Tiara Zoom, which is slightly slow (f4.5@28mm to f7.5@56mm) and noisy, but takes very nice photos- it has a Fujinon EBC lens.
    Another zoom P&S I had was the Contax TVS. It had a very nice Carl Ziess Vario-Sonnar lens: f3.5@28mm to f5.6@56mm zoom and was very quiet. Last summer I had superb results with Velvia 50. Unforunately mine developed auto-focus problems and the viewfinder was dim.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin