Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,610   Online: 1167

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Advice on High Quality Point and Shoot 35mm

I need a little advice here.

My wife owned a point and shoot 35mm film camera for many years but lost it last year while we were on vacation in BC. I don't remember the model but it was but it was a fairly high quality Pentax with a nice zoom lens. When it was lost I offered to let her use my digital Canon G9, but she has not taken well to the complexity of the controls on the G9 and I am thinking she would be better off with another film camera.

I know little or nothing about these cameras but I assume that with so many people switching to digital there should be some pretty good cameras in this category available used on ebay. So my question, what are some of the very best late model point and shoot type cameras?

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Konica Hexar AF.
    Olympus MJU-II or Epic (different branding for different areas)
    Nikon 35Ti

All of these are fast, fixed 35mm lenses, though, no zooms.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My thoughts exactly. I might also add the Yashica T4. I own the Olympus MJU and the Yashica T4. Both are a definite cut above the average 35 mm point and shoot camera. I've never found the lack of zoom a hindrance. Both have excellent optics and better than decent auto exposure and auto focus systems. No manual override is possible with either.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yashica T4. Mine was stolen. I regretted losing it. Non-zoom Olympus Stylus with 3.5 lens cut a nice image, too.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for the Olympus Stylus Epic which, to me, looks better in black if you can find one. Another great little p&s camera, although a bit more of a classic AF p&s, is the Minolta AF-C. It's very small and has a thumbwheel film advance (which means it's quiet) along with a frighteningly sharp lens. They're a little hard to find and they're frequently not terribly cheap, but usually not expensive enough to break the bank. Like I said though, it's a much older camera and you may want a more recent model. The Stylus Epic is superb. Some of Olympus's zooms aren't too bad. I have the Olympus Superzoom 160 which has a 38-160mm zoom along with an "extra-low dispersion, high resolution lens". All of that might be pure marketing hype but it works quite well The camera is very compact and the pictures are quite sharp. I also use a Canon Sure Shot Z180u with its 38-180mm lens. It also has the ability to focus while tracking a moving subject, not something you often find on little p&s compacts. It's a very nice camera that can sometimes command a price up to $100 on ebay but they can also be found for cheap if you take the time to look...I got mine at Goodwill for $15 in like-new condition! Also like John said above, the Olympus Stylus 3.5 is a nice choice too. Good luck and have fun shopping!

Andy

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    sandy

years ago i had a rolli prego 90, at the time they were very expensive little toys, but very good little toys.

recently one of my students convinced me he needed to take it on a crusie along with his digital camera and came back a very happy man. He loved the negatives and the fact it can also be used in pano mode.

i am sure there are still some around and even perhaps an update, which i believe was a prego 120.

easy to use, nice zoom feature, and more than once i had people ask me "what camera i used to take such great photos".
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I highly reccomend the Olympus Stylus with the 35mm f3.5 or the Olympus Stylus Epic with the 28mm f2.8 lens.
    Both are extremely compact. They have a sliding cover that protects all the important parts from scratches. They are weather sealed. Downside is small buttons and a tendancy for red-eye.
    They can be had for well under $50 on ebay if you look carefully or for next to nothing at thrift stores.
    I can keep one in my pocket with my keys/cell phone and not worry. I can open the cover by feel so pocket-to-shot times are very quick.

The yashica T4 is also nice but it's cover only protects the lens, and it doesnt take any better photos than the Oly except for redeye. The T4 is waay overpriced compared to the Oly imho.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I am familiar with some of the fixed lens cameras, even own one of the fixed lens Olympus Stylus models, but there was a zoom on my wife's lost camera and I am certain that she would want that feature again.

So I guess the question should be, what is the best late model point and shoot with a lens in the 30-70 or 30-135 range?

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if your rich and you love her and you want the best then the nikon 35ti or 28ti,with matrix metering. or the smallest most expensive compact ever minolta tc1.
    the konica hexar af is lovely but as big as a leica.

not as good but cheap as chips is the Olympus MJU zoom cameras, i picked one up recently for 10 dollars..
    a dealer on ebay usa has 10 of these Nikon Lite Touch Zoom 120 35mm Film Camera, at 19 us dollars crazy cheap price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Darn and I was just going upload a pic to brag about the oly..
    Heck ill do it anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3500506195_c1a6471905_o.jpg  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin