Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,363   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    no way

I didn't say I don't like them

But I have seen that people saying stuff like nikkors have bad bokeh, bad whatever... that is why I post this thread. maybe I am missing something that is not obvious. In my opinion my 105/2.5 has beautiful bokeh.
    Well, the 105/2.5 IS Nikon's bokehmonster...

*Grossly* generalizing, it could be argued that German lenses tend to have better bokeh than Japanese lenses.
    But the only way to get really good bokeh is by a case by case comparison: Even then a "good" bokeh lens will have different characteristics depending on distance, diaphragm, type of foreground/background and so on...

In many ways the 105/2.5 is very similar to Leica's Summicron 90/2.0, the main difference being that the 'Cron does everthing a stop earlier.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What is "bad" bokeh. Bokeh is very subjective so only you can say if it is bad for what you like. As I understand the term Bokeh, as it relates to photography and the charecteristics of lens, has only been around for about 10 years. I know someone here will be more specific.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't see why some people have so much aversion to nikon lens.
    Nikon and Canon have pretty much been the industry standard 35mm SLR lenses for the better part of 50 years BUT there are always a few guys around - often on internet message boards - who get their jollys advocating the superiority of other brands.

Nikkors are, I'll admit, sometimes too sharp and contrasty for a given purpose.

If you want a "glow" - which I take to mean a softer edge on the highlights - try screwing a star cross filter to the front. It will soften up the edges a bit and not be otherwise noticeable unless you have a point source light in the frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I'd say Nikon lenses have a certain character to them, but every lens does.

Below images with Nikon 50mm f/1.2

Is that just the standard F-Mount 50mm f1.2? I love the circular DOF, I even build a lens to do it with my 4x5.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    Internet is full of good things but home to some rubbish too, as can be seen every day.
    Like other APUGers just said, Nikon has set many high standards and continues to do so.
    It is true, however, that many criticisms were heard when they started to make lenses in Thailand, replacing metal with plastic, lowering prices to reach a wider public. Is that so wrong?
    I own Nikon lenses from the 1970s and still use them every week with great pleasure. They never needed service nor repair. Some of my Nikon cameras broke down because of shocks and kicks, because they fell to the ground, etc. I must say that I far prefer to use the F models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bokeh is one of those terms that drives me nuts. No reason...it just does! Maybe it is the spelling. Is it not a Japanese word? It sounds like one, but doesn't look like one with that H on the end of it.

The way out of focus areas are rendered is different with every piece of glass. There are Nikon lenses that I would think create ugly renditions of these areas, and also Nikon lenses that I would think create gorgeous renditions of them. Same with any other brand that offers a wide range of lenses for all budgets.

If you want highlights to flare and shadows to wash out, then the fancy lens coatings found on newer glass will work against you. (That is ANY glass, not just Nikon.) I would suggest something non coated or singly coated. I am a big fan of the original F glass myself, as it is mostly singly coated.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bokeh is indeed a Japanese term. As is nisen bokeh; as I recall, this is the sharp doughnutty bokeh you get from the mirror lenses.

Nikon lenses are mostly excellent, especially the F lenses and of course the now-discontinued LF lenses.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    But I have seen that people saying stuff like nikkors have bad bokeh, bad whatever... that is why I post this thread. maybe I am missing something that is not obvious. In my opinion my 105/2.5 has beautiful bokeh.

so why do you care what somebody else thinks about the lens? If you like it...isn't that sufficient?

The Nikon optics that I have been fortuante enough to own have all been spectacular...even those that everybody seems to poo-poo....one of my favorites in this category is the oft maligned 100mm f/2.8 series E...fantastic lens! and cheap too since the conventional wisdom seems to be that it is crap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The glow article said so because they are sharp and contrasty: aka good lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Bokeh is one of those terms that drives me nuts. No reason...it just does! Maybe it is the spelling. Is it not a Japanese word? It sounds like one, but doesn't look like one with that H on the end of it.
    That is true. It should be "bo-ke", in Japanese language there is no solo "h" .
    It is probably with "h" to sound more similar to original for English speakers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin