Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,798   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

"stay away from nikon lens"

From time to time I see on net: "stay away from nikon lens".
    Last time it was in one article that was posted here in explanation how to get glow in B&W print. But also before I have seen this on some web pages.
    Personally I have 3 nikon body's and bunch of nikkor prime lenses, but also I have bunch of rangefinders: leica, yashica, zorki, minolta, lomo, agfa...
    I don't see why some people have so much aversion to nikon lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never ever heard that one before

Nikon lenses have always had an excellent reputation and many great images have been made with them.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-19-2009 at 11:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Never heard that before, either. Generally speaking, Nikon lenses have an excellent reputation in all arenas I've explored so far: enlarging, 35mm, and large format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are crap. Give yours to me.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have always known Nikon to make excellent glass...

Jason

Shooter
    35mm
    The reference was to how to get something called "glow" in your B&W prints. Nikkors were not recommended because they generally don't display the "glow" according to the original author (Mike Johnston, I believe). I believe that those who desire the "glow" desire a different set of residual aberrations than one can find in most Nikkors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't believe all you read, we should all ask ourselves if our work is good enough to justify owning them .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Softie View Post
    The reference was to how to get something called "glow" in your B&W prints. Nikkors were not recommended because they generally don't display the "glow" according to the original author (Mike Johnston, I believe). I believe that those who desire the "glow" desire a different set of residual aberrations than one can find in most Nikkors.
    There is a difference between Nikon & most other Japanese lenses compared to German lenses particularly Leica, this is down to the way lenses are designed and optimised. Leitz lenses are more tonal, higher definition etc whereas Japanese lenses have higher micro contrast and so more apparent sharpness. So you will see some people preferring German lenses, there's definitely a difference between my Summicron & Takumars & Canon lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say Nikon lenses have a certain character to them, but every lens does.

Below images with Nikon 50mm f/1.2

Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    They are crap. Give yours to me.
    no way

I didn't say I don't like them

But I have seen that people saying stuff like nikkors have bad bokeh, bad whatever... that is why I post this thread. maybe I am missing something that is not obvious. In my opinion my 105/2.5 has beautiful bokeh.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin