Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,480   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My list:

Imagon 120, 150, 200, 250 and 300mm: I have the 200 and 250mm
    Mamiya RB67 150SF

Lensbabies are not real soft focus lenses, they are "fun" lenses, as they have a curved field focus, opposed to the Iamgon's and
    Mamiya's, whitch have a flat field focus.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Canon EOS makes a 135 f/2.8 soft focus. The auto focus ain't so great (no USM), but real photographers manually focus anyways. If you don't mind medium format, and who doesnt like a larger negative, pentax made a 120mm SF lens for the 67, but I don't know anything about that lens.

Still, the best, easiest, and most cost effective solution is to buy a cheap UV filter or something to that effect, rub some vaseline on, and be happy with the super cool effects you get.
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    I know that Canon EOS is not terribly popular in film circles. But in that particular system, the only soft focus lens available is the 135/2.8.
    Not terribly popular? I love my cheap EOS film camera. I covet a 1v very much, and I know a lot of film photographers who use EOS either as a principle system or as a 35mm system to back up their bigger cameras. And why not? Great lenses, ubiquitous, built like tanks (the expensive ones at least, mine...not so much) Where did you get the idea that EOS is unpopular?

Now I second my camera purchase choice. Shoulda gone for that F5! OH WELL...
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a number of triplet lenses in the 100-135mm range made by (mostly) German manufacturers (Zeiss Jena, Meyer, Schacht Munich [not Ulm]) which deliver lovely portrait and other soft images.
    Mostly in Exakta and M42 mounts. Very cheap if you find one.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidearm613 View Post
    pentax made a 120mm SF lens for the 67, but I don't know anything about that lens.
    I've got one of these and like it both on the 67 and with an EOS adapter on a... well let's just say it kind of looks like a 35mm SLR...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are a few more 35mm Soft focus lenses

Pentax 85mm f/2.2 k mount
    Pentax 85mm f/2.8 FA AutoFocus
    Canon EOS 135mm f/2.8
    Canon 85mm f/2.8 FD
    Spiratone Potragon 100m f/4
    Minolta 85mm F/2.8 Vari-Soft MD mount
    Minolta 100mm f/2.8 AF
    Sima 100mm f/2.8 T Mount
    Fujinon 85mm f/4 M42 and Fuji mount
    Leica Thambar 90mm f/2.2 LTM
    Kenko 85mm f/2.5 multiple mounts
    Kenko 45mm f/4.5 multiple mounts
    Sony 135mm f/2.8 STF Sony Alpha Mount

Dan
    Last edited by luvcameras; 05-19-2009 at 08:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Where did you get the idea that EOS is unpopular?
    Because, at least in film circles, everybody raves about Leica and Nikon F-series. You don't hear ANYTHING about Canon EOS outside of digital circles (where EOS is EXTREMELY well-regarded and popular).

Canon EOS makes a 135 f/2.8 soft focus. The auto focus ain't so great (no USM), but real photographers manually focus anyways.
    Besides being somewhat noisy and not allowing for full-time manual focus, there is nothing wrong with micromotor autofocus. It is not less accurate. So if you can get around these issues, don't let the absence of USM deter you from buying a lens.
    Last edited by StorminMatt; 05-19-2009 at 09:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The quality of autofocus depends on the system controlling the motor as much as on the moving parts.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Stick a cheap filter on whatever focal length lens you wish was a soft-focus, and dip a Q-tip in a bit of vaseline, and apply some of the vaseline to the filter. Start with a very little bit, and add more for the effect you are seeking.
    Better still use K-Y jelly instead of vasaline, K-Y is water based and cleans off much easier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Better still use K-Y jelly instead of vasaline, K-Y is water based and cleans off much easier.
    I generally have even better uses for K-Y Jelly than smearing it on a UV filter. OTOH, Vaseline really has no higher purpose than blurring the focus.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin