Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,839   Online: 738

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Soft focus lenses in 35mm

I'm looking to make up a 35mm kit around a few soft focus lenses. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any central listing of soft focus lenses produced for 35mm cameras. Furthermore, no manufacturer appears to have made a complete set of wide, normal, and telephoto soft focus lenses (Pentax seems to have come the closest with a 28mm and an 85mm).

So I thought I'd ask and see if the community could list all of the known 35mm format soft focus lenses. I'll kick it off with Nikon:

105mm f/2 DC
    135mm f/2 DC
    90mm f/4.8 fun fun lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a 145mm f/4 SF C variable soft focus lens for the mamiya m645 family that you can mount on Nikon F with a $20 adapter. It comes with various discs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAMIYA-645-C...QQcmdZViewItem

N.b. I don't know this seller and cannot vouch for this item ^^^... just giving a link to consider.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lensbaby.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stick a cheap filter on whatever focal length lens you wish was a soft-focus, and dip a Q-tip in a bit of vaseline, and apply some of the vaseline to the filter. Start with a very little bit, and add more for the effect you are seeking.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon FD 85mm f/2.8

Had this lens briefly in the '80's and have missed it ever since... beautiful "real" soft focus by introducing varying degrees of spherical abberation when used in the soft modes, unlike filters, vaseline, etc. which just blur or fog... Also can be used as a normally sharp lens... Have considered buying this lens and a Canon body for dedicated soft focus shooting!
    See here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...s/85mmsoft.htm

HTH,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Stick a cheap filter on whatever focal length lens you wish was a soft-focus, and dip a Q-tip in a bit of vaseline, and apply some of the vaseline to the filter. Start with a very little bit, and add more for the effect you are seeking.

Good morning, Softie;

If you do not like Doug's suggestion, Adorama has a special on right now for Zeiss "Softar" filters you can put on the front of just about any lens. Most of them are B+W filters, although there is a Heliopan "Softar" at Adorama that has a special on right now that includes free shipping.

Just for reference, these are listed there from $ 191 up to $ 282. Just a thought.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tamron made an SP soft focus 70-150 f2.8 Adaptall 2 Zoom, which is not too easy to find. The Zeiss Softar I and II filters can be used to give a soft focus affect to your existing lens. Others made soft focus filters, however the Zeiss were top rated ones. They also cost more. Your might also try a little vasoline around the edges of clear filter or maybe even a little sandpaper to sand the edges of an old filter. Panty hose stretched over a lens with a central hole burned with a cigarett works. This may keep you going for awhile. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Imagon 120mm, the Dreamagon 90mm, and a Simda 100mm,the lens baby about 50mm, further also the 135 DC all with Nikon mount.
    All have variable SF setting.

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    35mm
    I know that Canon EOS is not terribly popular in film circles. But in that particular system, the only soft focus lens available is the 135/2.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, yes there is the Sima Soft Focus 100mm f2 soft focus + macro. Low tech and usually not very expensive when you find one. Bill Barber

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin