Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,855   Online: 774

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Thanks, I will recheck with the new batts and see what's what then.

That was the problem. Aparently, 1.2v will move the needle, but not trigger the check light. A fresh battery did the trick. Now to run some film through it.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    That was the problem. Aparently, 1.2v will move the needle, but not trigger the check light. A fresh battery did the trick. Now to run some film through it.
    Make sure you have a 1.35--1.4 battery; check the auto reading against a known-accurate meter; and tweak your ASA setting if necessary to give proper readout in the camera.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was planning to check it against my Sekonic to see how close/far off it might be. The battery is a 1.35v Wein. I may go for one of those adapters that will allow me to use a cheaper more available substitute batt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MR-9 Mercury Battery Adapter for Canonet - Boo Hiss

Put a new Wein cell in the QL17, measures 1.35v as it should, meter and check light work fine. I know they don't last long, are hard to get and a bit pricey so I thought I would try one of those adapters. Bought one from CRIS which "claims" to reduce the voltage. Not true. In the adapter still measures 1.5+v.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go to a Home Depot or similar and buy a #9 Rubber O-ring. It will cost less than half a dollar. Pop it in the battery chamber, and from then on, you are good to go with #375 zinc-air hearing aid batteries. They wear out as quickly as the Wein cells, but they cost about 1/10th as much. And here's a secret: A Wein cell is just a #375 zinc-air hearing aid battery with a metal outer shell spacer that serves the same purpose as the aforementioned rubber O-ring washer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [bit pricey so I thought I would try one of those adapters. Bought one from CRIS which "claims" to reduce the voltage. Not true. In the adapter still measures 1.5+v. [/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Looks like I need to find some Nr. 9 rubber o rings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Very interesting. Looks like I need to find some Nr. 9 rubber o rings.
    You only need one. It stays permanently in the battery chamber, until you desire to remove it, just pull it out with a pin or a tweezer.

I've used this O-ring fix to adapt with 375 hearing aid batteries in Konica Auto S-2, Canonet QL17, Canon FTb-n, Minolta SRTs, Nikkormat FTn, Olympus OM-1n, among other cameras. Basically, if it used a single 625 Mercury cell, this is the best fix - short of having the camera re-calibrated for Silver Oxide cells. Much superior to the CRIS adapter or Wein cells.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    You only need one. It stays permanently in the battery chamber, until you desire to remove it, just pull it out with a pin or a tweezer.
    Thanks for the tip. Off to find said O-ring before the next Wein cell is needed.

Not sure I understand the permanency though. The batt. goes in the Canonet sideways, it seems like the O-ring is but a spacer around the circumference of the batt. for a snug fit?? If so, won't it have to go in/out with each batt. change?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're right, I was confusing it with the battery chambers that have screw-in lids, where the battery drops into the chamber, such as on most SLRs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It sure would be nice to know something about the design-team that came up with the Canonet G-111. I was fiddling with mine just earlier this evening and I just marvel at all the design features crammed into that little package. Quite astounding, really. Some folks complain of the limitation of the max ASA and have, perhaps, a point. And I shall never forgive Canon for that 48mm filter size. These failings notwithstanding, it is quite a gem for an inexpensive RF camera. About the only thing more "clever" among it's contemporaries, methinks, is the Yashica 35 GSN's using the battery check bulb to illuminate the frame number dial.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin