Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,049   Online: 894

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Prime or Zoom?

Shooter
    35mm
    *****Interesting you should say that. I have my main kit in a backpack, but also a little waist pouch for swapping between two lenses. I did this recently at an event here. But I used the longer of the two much of the time.***

Quicker to have two cameras around your neck, they are cheap enough to buy, also would have 72X35mm shots available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use zoom lenses for my 35mm, but I perfer to use prime lenses and use my feet for zooming. (I fell off a cliff once)

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 70-200mm F/4L lens that I use with my Canon K2. This lens is very sharp. I have read that the sharpness deteriorates a bit at the long and short end of the range, but I cant tell a difference. Maybe if I made big enlargements and/or studied it under a loupe (is that what they're called?).

I'd like to get the 24-70mm F/2.8L before I get a few primes, just to make sure I have the whole range covered I doubt I'll need anything longer than a 200mm lens any time soon.

I wouldnt mind having some primes. I'd like the wider apertures and less weight, but my zooms are just so much quicker than setting forward and back

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WGibsonPhotography View Post
    I have a 70-200mm F/4L lens that I use with my Canon K2. This lens is very sharp. I have read that the sharpness deteriorates a bit at the long and short end of the range, but I cant tell a difference. Maybe if I made big enlargements and/or studied it under a loupe (is that what they're called?).
    Oooooh, I'f I would have known you were with the Evil Canonites, I might not have been so friendly and helpful in the Enlarger thread! Nikons Triumph over Evil! LOL!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    If you really want to challenge yourself, dump the autofocus and autoexposure and find yourself an old manual camera, perhaps an SRT. Meter the scene yourself. Focus on your own.

Electronics have made us lazy.
    hahahaha that's the truth!

Can get slimmer too if you zoom with your feet! hahaha

That's also the reason why I think I'm going to start collecting a few FT2/FT3s and FM2s.

FMs for primary cameras, FTs for back up cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    “... just out of interest, what's everyone else's current preferences?”

When I first started in photography, I used primes lenses because the zooms were too expensive and their image quality was too low. In fact, the first zoom lens I purchased produced images that were so bad that this lens soured me to zoom lenses for decades. Thank goodness zoom lenses have improved since then.

Today, I primarily use my older manual focus prime lenses on my film cameras. However, I primarily use newer auto focus zoom lenses on my digital camera not for the zoom feature but for the auto focus feature because manually focusing on an APS-sized digital camera is very difficult for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own two zooms, but only use one (the other came with a body that I wanted).

The one that I use (although infrequently) is an Olympus Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 lens. I use it when it is likely that I won't be able to "zoom with my feet". I like it's size (including filter size) as well as the fact that it is a two-touch zoom.

Otherwise, I prefer fixed focal lengths (24mm, 35 mm, 85mm is my favourite kit).

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use zooms, with a few specialized exceptions. I use a fast nifty fifty for available light work, and I use 55mm and 90mm manual focus macro lenses, and I use an older 300mm f2.8 manual lens, usually with a 2X TC, for extreme tele work. (I'd greatly prefer a modern fast 600mm VR AF lens, but my long fast manual tele rig cost me under $500, not $6000).

But most of my shooting is with a 12-24mm, a 24-120mm zoom, a 70-200mm zoom, and a 200-400 (cheap Tamron) zoom.

I had been using a Sigma 14mm f2.8 prime for ultra wide, but my testing showed me that the Tokina 12-24 was slightly sharper than the Sigma 14mm, so I switched and sold my 14mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually stick to primes (24mm. 55mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.8). There are a couple of zooms I sometimes use: Olympus 75-150mm f/4 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5. I make heavy use of Macros: 55mm Micro-Nikkor, 105mm Micro-Nikkor, 200mm Micro-Nikkor f/4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm three high quality zooms.
    MF all Zeiss primes. This includes a Hasselblad and a circa 1935 folder.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin