Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,276   Online: 1065
      
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69

Thread: Prime or Zoom?

  1. #21
    winjeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    central Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    If you really want to challenge yourself, dump the autofocus and autoexposure and find yourself an old manual camera, perhaps an SRT. Meter the scene yourself. Focus on your own.

    Electronics have made us lazy.
    If I really want to challenge myself, I get up in the morning... Jokes aside. I have a challenge. My Seagull's internal light meter is on the blink, and so I'm still torn between replacing it with a NEW X700 (still available here), an Alpha 7 (aka Dynax 7 elsewhere), or a light meter (to go with the the Seagull). Interestingly, the Alpha 7 is the cheapest option, and the light meter is the most expensive. I know electronics make us lazy, research in brain plasticity has shown that, and even the in-car GPS maps now available are a threat to our brains when we (young-un's) are in our older ages.

    It's interesting to see that most people have a twenty-something, a fifty-ish, and another one before 100mm. But no one has a really wide angle? If did get one, it'd be the Sigma 12-24. Seems really good, but I don't have a use for it... yet.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    580
    I have the AF Nikkor 18-35mm and use it a lot. Quite good.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    695
    Images
    3
    I use prime/sfl lenses because when I bought them, I couldn't afford a really good zoom and really good prime/sfl's were in my budget. A Nikkor 35mm f/2 and 105mm/f2.5 were all I used for a very long time.

  4. #24
    winjeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    central Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    I have the AF Nikkor 18-35mm and use it a lot. Quite good.
    If I had one, I'd be using it to exaggerate temple architecture, especially roofs. But I'm not sure what else. What do you use it for?

    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    I use prime/sfl lenses because when I bought them, I couldn't afford a really good zoom and really good prime/sfl's were in my budget. A Nikkor 35mm f/2 and 105mm/f2.5 were all I used for a very long time.
    Finding good zooms that have f2 is rather difficult. However, I've found it fun just to play with one lens, even if I do get more exercise stepping forwards and back. I think the only time I'd miss having a short zoom would be for certain events like parades and street festivals. Hmm... No big loss to me, I suppose.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trinity, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Oooooh, I'f I would have known you were with the Evil Canonites, I might not have been so friendly and helpful in the Enlarger thread! Nikons Triumph over Evil! LOL!


    Had I been given a Nikon as a graduation present when I graduated high school, I would probably flaunt my Nikon lenses as proudly as I flaunt my "OMG! Look at me!" white attention whore Canon L lens

    To each his own

  6. #26
    winjeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    central Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by WGibsonPhotography View Post
    Had I been given a Nikon as a graduation present when I graduated high school, I would probably flaunt my Nikon lenses as proudly as I flaunt my "OMG! Look at me!" white attention whore Canon L lens

    To each his own
    Have you seen the new Sony 70-400mm G? Remember "G" is the Sony / Minolta designation for a professional lens, and originally G was for 'gold'! Now THAT'S ostentatious!


    (btw, the new 70-400mm G is silver in colour! Not white, or black, but silver!!!)
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trinity, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by winjeel View Post
    Have you seen the new Sony 70-400mm G? Remember "G" is the Sony / Minolta designation for a professional lens, and originally G was for 'gold'! Now THAT'S ostentatious!


    (btw, the new 70-400mm G is silver in colour! Not white, or black, but silver!!!)
    I havent seen it. I'll go look it up and check it out. Doesnt Sony have white lenses? I guess I'll find out after a google search

    I used to have a silver 28-90mm lens for my Canon. It was the silver version of the kit lens that came with the K2 (which is also silver, or mine is silver. PErhaps there are some black ones. I really have no clue :/ )

    The white/silver pro lenses just scream out "steal me!" or at least that what I think every time I see a white canon lens (including mine, every time I open the bag)

  8. #28
    winjeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    central Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    92
    Despite how ostentatious a white lens is, it's still useful, I think (but I don't have one, so I don't really know. Consider point one here, Fourteen Tips for Photographing in Public (in the post 9/11 world).
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    471
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by winjeel View Post
    ...
    It's interesting to see that most people have a twenty-something, a fifty-ish, and another one before 100mm. But no one has a really wide angle? If did get one, it'd be the Sigma 12-24. Seems really good, but I don't have a use for it... yet.

    I do have zooms: Tokina 12-24mm; Tokina 20-35mm; Nikkor 80-200mm. I bought the wide zooms because I don't use WA often for people shots.
    Luke

    To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

    Georgia O'Keefe

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Jersey (again)
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,998
    When possible, I like to use smaller camera bodies and (physically) smaller lenses. I don't like to draw attention to myself with my camera equipment.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin