Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,818   Posts: 1,581,647   Online: 819

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Missing spindle on Western 100 film loader

Howdy,

I picked up a Western 100 (is it the same as a Watson 100?) film loader at a swap meet today ($2, couldn't refuse), but it appears that the spindle for the film compartment is not there.

Considering it will be used for loading Ilford product mainly, do I need the spindle?

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the Watson loaders I have used the spindle is what I might call the central shaft that the bulk film reel is loaded onto. It usually is what is used to secure both halves of the light lock. So if that is the component you are missing, there may be problems with the bulk reel unloading smoothly without bumping around in its chamber.

The term spindle could also be used to describe the little roller with the cam that the film flows over on is way into the cassette, whose cam causes the frame counter to advance. If that is the component you are missing then there is the chance of scratching the emulsion, as I beleive that one of its purposes is to pull the film though the open light lock without the emulsion side being dragged against the edge of the gate.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Its the spindle that is in the main compartment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Mike is correct. There are no loose parts in the film chamber. If you have seen one of these with a spindle in it, most likely it was the center spool from a roll of film.
    I haven't bulk loaded for years but Kodak had a spool in the center.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aha - the little thing that sometimes has a 'square' hole, and a slot cut in it to hold the original film tab to allow the bulk roll to be wound onto the 'spindle'.

There are some vendors bulk offerings (I can't recall if it was fuji, agaf, or really old kodak) that come on an honest spool, with side flanges and all. Getting the film though the slot into the cassette chanber is a real challenge in those circumstances.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys. The unit still has the 1/4 shaft that goes through the middle that the cover/light trap screw screws into. And yes, I did see a picture on the net where there was a spindle on this shaft.

I am now very happy with my buy!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin