Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,668   Online: 860

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Half frame users

Just asking, but how do other half frame snappers deal with those tiny negs. Contact prints are not too helpful, but the grain can be outstanding! I've found I can make prints from half frame negs that I like, but I have to diffuse the exposure throughout with a black stocking mesh, and use a harder grade printing filter. I've only got a pen ee3 but a 12" wide print can look surprisingly sharp, and diffusing the print doing great things with the grain. Thats using a film like hp5 or tmax 400. Its a look that I cant seem able to get from full frame 35mm.
    Does anyone else find half frame negs a bit special.

Shooter
    35mm

Half Frame Users

My two half frame cameras are a Konica Auto Reflex (Autorex in Japan) and a Konica AA35 (Recorder in Japan). The Auto Reflex will take all of my Konica AR and AR mount lenses. The 28/1.8 UC Hexanon makes a great standard lens. The AA35 is a p&s camera. The diffusion process must reduce your sharpness. With modern films you can make very nice prints from the half frame format. Try the new Ektar 100 color print film. I would rate it at 80 or 64 to avoid underexposure. For b&w prints I would use Ilford Pan F+, Fuji ACROS or Kodak TMY2. You will get very fine grain with any of these films without the need for diffusion.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've been careful to use slower speed films. Plus, the meter on my main half frame camera doesn't go above ASA 200.

So far, I haven't had a problem with grain causing problems. But I haven't done any wet prints yet either.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i use high and low speed films and i often enlarge them.
    i don't enlarge much more then "on a 8x10 ..."
    look at some of the work of guillume zuili
    he is fond of his half frame and he enlarges his stuff
    BIG

good luck!

john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin