Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,632   Posts: 1,648,026   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Chinon Genesis III/GS9: any comments

Hi folks.

On Sunday, our fair city held its annual photographer's market.

This year there was an exceptional turnout, both in the number of stallholders and willing customers. The good folks were lining up at the door -in the rain, which lasted all day- eager to part with their money, well before starting time. (As I said, avoid the rush, come late! )

I intended only to look around, but found myself with a bag of goodies at the end of the day (including four 35mm cameras).

Among the items on offer (which included some from the early days of photography through to almost current DSLRs) was a futuristic "Buck Rogers" looking 35mm camera: the Chinon Genesis III/GS9. Among all the manual SLRs and the various bellows cameras and the medium format Mamiyas etc, not much interest was being directed at this plastic fantastic.

However, the stallholder was enthusiastic in spruiking its virtues and held forth about the sharpness of its autofocus: the best autofocus in any camera in his experience.

To date, the best (i.e., sharpest AF) in my limited experience has been the Olympus iS1000/L1 (another plastic fantastic, and a very good one it is too.)

In fact, I went to the market in the vague hope of finding an Olypus iS2000/L2 or an iS3000/L3, so my interest was immediately aroused.

As I was about the only -even likely- prospect within his vision, the seller hinted that he was willing to let the item go for a very low price.

As it had a new battery (2CR5 ?), the price was very reasonable indeed.

So here I am, the unexpected owner of a Chinon Genesis III.

I have since found the manual (I have still to read it) on the Butkus website (thanks) and was wondering if anyone here had any experiences of this item and if so, could they please share them?

Thanks
    Last edited by Galah; 05-25-2009 at 12:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does no-one have any experience of this camera?

Actually, for what it is, is seems to be quite sophisticated: it has both passive and active AF, automatic flash compensation, +/-2EV EC in 1/3EV increments, and enough other features to make your head spin reading the manual.

It is, essentially a prosumer ZLR (zoom lens reflex), with many of the features later incorporated in digicams.

I'm still in the process of familiarizing myself with it and have yet to put a film in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Still no replies?

OK, I now have a film in the camera and have taken a few shots. Everything seems to be working so far .

In programme mode, the camera seems to be doing some unusual things not generally met with in other cameras, such as automatic framing of the subject (insofar as the angle of view is concerned). A little disconcerting at first, but effective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Celebrated my wife's bithday on Saturday, so finished off my first film through this camera and have sent it to the processors: back on Friday. We'll see how we went then.

So far, everything appears to work as it is supposed to: focusing, flash, wind-on, rewind etc. The autofocus is remarkably quick: reminds me of my (one and only) Canon L USM lens: it is (almost) that fast.

Roll on Friday!

Shooter
    35mm
    AF were in some respects better on Analog cameras in the 90's so I'm not surprised it's fast but you didn't have the same options as today, however for most it's good enough. There isn't much information out there about your camera except for the manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLo View Post
    ...There isn't much information out there about your camera except for the manual.
    Thanks for responding, MaLo,

You're right, there's very little on the web regarding this camera and, as it is a "plastic fantastic" with a lot of electronics, I guess there's not too many still in working order either; so, very little interest, I guess.

However, plastic or not, the lens was a 12 element 11 groups all glass construction: somewhat different to these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So it is something like the canon futura?

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a shame that Chinon isn't a brand that has stood the times even though their cameras where just as good as the rest but you almost can't give them away nowadays.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I used to sell the Genesis III's and gave one to my father as a gift. I also had a couple Chinon Splashes. Have you found any of the accessory lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by visioncity View Post
    I used to sell the Genesis III's and gave one to my father as a gift. I also had a couple Chinon Splashes. Have you found any of the accessory lenses?

No, but I haven't been looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin