Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 728

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

NIKON lens - AF Nikkor 85mm 1:1,8 (no "D")

I have this lens which I don't need anymore and therefore want to sell - probably on e-Bay.
    There are lots of the 85mm 1:1,8D to compare with but almost none without the "D". And I have'nt found any description of it.
    Can anybody tell me something about my lens and possibly how much less than the "D" it would sell for? the 1,8D seems to sell in Europe (e-Bay Germany) for at least 300 euros (400 USD).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Paid B&H Photo here in the US $439.95 for a brand new 1.8D in February.
    D simply means the lens has a chip to communicate the distance at which it is focused to the camera's light meter and/or flash.
    Some D type lenses also have faster autofocus gearing than the older models but I'm not sure about this one.
    Otherwise, the lenses should be the same.
    Price depends on condition.
    Look it up at www.KEH.com to get and idea about the used market.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My take is that non-D lenses sell for something in the range of 80% of the price of D lenses, to maybe $50 less.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    the D-type lenses sell a bit more than the non-D, in theory. I saw one recently on ebay Germany (where I shop myself, ebay Belgium being too skinny) going for the same price than a D type...
    I personnally think that the D-type lenses do not bring a definite advantage. Does it matter a lot that the camera knows the subject's distance? I don't think so, especially with a rather short telelens like a 85mm. The caIt seems to me the D introduction was another marketing trick tosell "new" lenses. The optical formula of your lens is exactly the same as the D type, and of previous MF 85 lenses.
    ED glass that's another story. I have always noted the excellent quality produced by ED lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    the D-type lenses sell a bit more than the non-D, in theory. I saw one recently on ebay Germany (where I shop myself, ebay Belgium being too skinny) going for the same price than a D type...
    I personnally think that the D-type lenses do not bring a definite advantage. Does it matter a lot that the camera knows the subject's distance? I don't think so, especially with a rather short telelens like a 85mm. The camera used is far more important and especially the accuracy in metering. For instance, my F3 measures light much better than my FE.
    It seems to me the D introduction was another marketing trick tosell "new" lenses. The optical formula of your lens is exactly the same as the D type, and of previous MF 85 lenses.
    ED glass that's another story. I have always noted the excellent quality produced by ED lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, the 2nd message is the full one, my fingers slipped...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin