Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,567   Online: 892

Shooter
    35mm

My camera's making strange sounds

I just bought a pentax spotmatic on ebay and have tested the shutter at various speeds. At high speeds it sounds fine but at lower speeds (like 15 and 30) it sounds as if a spring is loose and bouncing around after the shutter has opened/shut. The shutter isnít sticking and I canít see anything wrong but thereís an unnerving noise! Any thoughts on what it might be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Spotmatics are much noisier than later K mount pentax's and at slow shutter speeds you do here the mirror bouncing back, so it may be normal.

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you!

I just got it checked out and it sounds like you're right. Agree it's noisier than the K mounts!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spotmatics do make a funny sound, just like you describe, at 1/15 and 1/30s. All my Spotmatics have it, so I suppose it's normal.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spotmatic set at 1/30 / 1/15: After the shutter release I hear what sounds ball on a spring bouncing twice...

"It's those cameras which make no sound that are crazy!!!"
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I get *exactly* this on my Leica M6 that I got recently. 1/30 and 1/15. A kind of a fluttering noise like the one described on the Pentax. The actual shutter speeds seem fine and I don't see any exposure discrepencies when using them. So .... is this normal or something I should be getting checked out?
    I have a photo blog ... and a Flickr ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sounds may be normal. I recall - many years ago my Spotmatic made similar sounds. I dig the "sloppy" sound of 1/15 and 1/30 sec. All of my film cameras make this beautiful noise. Are your exposures at these speeds OK? If so - learn to love it! Cheers Michael.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Spotmatic SPII does the same. I did have a theory that it was not the mirror, but actually the spring mechanism on the Auto setting of the lens, that returns the lens to open after exposure (but it was never cosnistent enough for me to prove it). When I was repairing an old Helios 44 lens, I tested the Auto mechanism a few times, and it was surprisingly similar in sound. Either way, it is normal....now get some film in it and enjoy...beautiful camera. Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thvaughan View Post
    I just bought a pentax spotmatic on ebay and have tested the shutter at various speeds. At high speeds it sounds fine but at lower speeds (like 15 and 30) it sounds as if a spring is loose and bouncing around after the shutter has opened/shut. The shutter isnít sticking and I canít see anything wrong but thereís an unnerving noise! Any thoughts on what it might be?
    Well, my camera is making strange pictures! What about that?

Sorry, but I could not resist... Good luck with your new camera!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin