Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,482   Online: 905

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Shutter problem with Nikon FE

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post and I have a problem. I have just bought an FE off a certain auction site, I received it Tuesday. Not having much time before I went to work I had a quick look at it, and found that there seemed to be a problem with the shutter. Later with more time to investigate I found that when the shutter is fired and the shutter is closed operating the film advance lever the top shutter blind and the bottom blind travel down together remaining closed. Stopping anywhere during stroking the lever the shutter remains closed, but as soon as the lever reaches the end of it's travel and is released the top shutter blind opens.

Something else which may be related, I'm not sure. When the shutter is released on the M90 setting the shutter which is already open, stays open the mirror flips up and stays up and the shutter doesn't close until the speed dial is moved to 8 second setting. Batteries are new, am I missing something or have I bought a dud.

Cheers

Geoff.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Geoff,
    Ok I have a FE and I never experienced that problem. Because, from what you describe, a problem there is, I'm afraid.
    At what speed (s) did you check the shutter? What you say happens at M90 sounds pretty weird to me.
    Have you exposed a roll yet? If not, please do so but I'm quite sure you'll get bad results because the shutter blades don't seem to be synchronised.
    The good news is, it could be fixed by a technician without replacing the shutter. Lubrication problem, maybe? This material is quite old now and it all depends on how it was cared of. But my 1978 FE still works very well...
    Have it checked and serviced if needed.
    Good luck!
    Serge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both curtains should travel downward and latch when the film is advanced. The opening(first) curtain isn't latching. This isn't something that's user serviceable.
    Talk to the seller and see if he's willing to repair or replace it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Serge,

The problem occurs at all shutter speeds. Yes I agree putting a film through the camera would result in bad results, each frame would be fogged when the camera was wound on.

John,

I think your right the shutter isn't latching do you know if it is mechanical or electro-magnetic? I have contacted the seller they suggested that I replace the battery, I suggested they refund my money or repair the camera. I'll have to wait for them to decide what they will do.

Thank you both for your input.

Geoff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a Nikon FE with this same problem. It is a bad thing. Push for the seller to refund your money because, based upon what my repair guy said and the effort he put into "looking at" mine, I don't think you or any other repair technician will get it to work correctly again (unless they have a stash of new Nikon FE repair parts).

It has nothing to do with the battery - it is a mechanical problem in the shutter mechanism.
    Last edited by BradS; 05-28-2009 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional info...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The latch in the shutter is electro-mechanical and is released when a magnet is energized. This pulls the latch back & releases the curtain.
    From what you describe, it sounds as though there's a spring detached, the armature at the magnet isn't free to move, coil in the magnet is open/shorted. Any number of things. None cheap to fix. Most techs would replace the shutter simply because it's faster than trying to work on the shutter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

The seller has done the decent thing

Hi all,

Just to let you know the seller has agreed to take the camera back and refund the money. Shame it didn't work out, the FE was a lovely camera. Thanks for all the comments.

Geoff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin