Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,670   Online: 1169

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

M-42 lenses on Contax Yashica bodies

As I experiment more with lens signatires, especially the helios 44 M-6 lens on 35mm, the old vivitar body I am using has some issues with foam needing replacement, and sometimes the film transport is a bit unreliable. For the cost of a CLA, I think buying another manul bodymight be the way to go.
    I never thought I would be where I am right now, thinking about re-investing in 35mm, but the $20 Helios lens has gotten me intrigued, and it would be nice to get a reliable body for it. I sold all of my contax gear some years back and it helped fund a bunch of stuff large and medium format wise. Now I have a hankering again for a Contax RX to use the M-42 lens on. I used M139G, RTS, RTS-II, RX, and Aria bodies in the past and know the contax system well and am spoilt now.... Like I said, I never thought I'd be re-investing in 35mm again.... So I'm looking at contax bodies, but wanted to know what brand of M42 mount to get for it. I realize I will lose features going this route.... That's okay, but I want to know more about whether the lens will still have inifinity focus with an M-42 adaptor? I do not believe it will be a problem, but need the gurus here to let me know... OR tell me I am smoking crack and need my head looked at! :-)
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not what you're looking for but the price might be right.

I have a Mamiya Sekor 1000DTL which you can have for nothing.

It's amongst some stuff I don't use which I have been thinking about giving away.

It's a fairly standard 35mm M42 body with spot meter and more general metering which goes up to 1/1000 second shutter speed.

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...tl/1000dtl.htm

If Andrew doesn't want it and someone else does, send me a PM.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to use Zeiss lenses, as well as M42 ones as well as on an M42 camera (but with bayonet mounts, using adaptors), then Roleiflex SLRs are the way to go.

A (great) number of caveats apply, so please ask again if you are interested.

For pure M42 use, the Pentax Spotmatic is practically unbeatable.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Andrew, you should have your head examined ( ) ! Either take Steve up on his offer or get yer self a nice used Spotmatic. Even if you end up with a not-so-nice Spotmatic, they can be overhauled reasonably inexpensively (Eric Henderson at http://www.pentaxs.com/ is the man to call for this service).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as good M42 lenses go, there is a great selection: Pentax (Takumar), Carl Zeiss Jena, Meyer Optik (Some), Schacht Ulm, Steinheil, a number of Soviet and post-Soviet lenses, Mamiya, Fuji....

If you are looking for any particular focal lengths, ask again.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, I'll take you up on your VERY generous offer!! Let me know what shipping would be to Minnesota USA zip code 55125 would be and I can paypal it over to you.. Truly generous folks these APUG'ers, and it never ceases to amaze me on this forum... If I do ever move on from this project, I will give the mamiya body away for free and pay it forward to someone getting started or who needs it. I will use it, and will still likely pursue a contax body aswell, as it's nice to have the motor drive feature with the way I am shooting lately.

Thanks again!

Andy
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin