Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,879   Online: 949

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Heh, yeah, that's almost a reason to own the XD. The Seiko shutter is gorgeous sounding. That smooooooth "fawump". :-)

Jed
    That's the word I was looking for "fawump" is like classical music
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Heh, yeah, that's almost a reason to own the XD. The Seiko shutter is gorgeous sounding. That smooooooth "fawump". :-)
    That "fawump" sounds rather heavy and harsh when you say the word. I guess it depends how it's said... Is the "fawump" whispered by a young lady, or shouted by a middle-aged truck driver? The answer will tell me if I want an XD or not

@ jaimeb82 - my 10 year old son really likes the sound of our "new" X-300 and I tend to agree with him. It sounds a lot nicer than many newer cameras even if it's not as good as its peers - I suppose it depends what you compare it with. Even the DOF preview on my 600si is dreadful compared to firing the X-300

Regards,
    Gordon
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

Shooter
    35mm
    fawump...yeah, that describes it pretty well. I might add that it's a 'thick fawump' and it is smoooooth!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Imagine Ewan McGregor saying it in his best Obi-Wan.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just picked up 3 bodies on the 'bay from the same seller: An XD-11, an XE-7, and a Canon A-1. All 3 together set me back around $104 including shipping. They arrived today - all of them are fully functional, and the XE-7 and the A-1 in particular are cosmetically gorgeous - definitely 9+, and they look very lightly used. The XD-11 is in good shape too, but it's got the usual leather shrinkage.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Great score.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    I just picked up 3 bodies on the 'bay from the same seller: An XD-11, an XE-7, and a Canon A-1. All 3 together set me back around $104 including shipping. They arrived today - all of them are fully functional, and the XE-7 and the A-1 in particular are cosmetically gorgeous - definitely 9+, and they look very lightly used. The XD-11 is in good shape too, but it's got the usual leather shrinkage.
    NICE!
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    OP,

See what I mean? The GAS [Gadget Acquisition Syndrome] just keeps on coming.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I admit, I churn a bunch of this stuff, since the way it sells on ebay is so silly, with sellers not knowing whether or not the stuff works, and then these classic cameras go for pennies on the dollar. Basically, I bought all of these cameras while undertaking some risk that some or all of them might be broken in ways I couldn't fix. It turns out all 3 of these are fully working, and their actual condition was under-described - which an educated understanding of ebay has shown me when this is likely, rather than a seller who deceptively is "over-describing" them - You've all seen it: "I couldn't test the meter because I haven't got any batteries so I'm selling it As Is but it's in mint condition - yada yada yada". I basically have already re-sealed and fully checked out the cameras, and I'm going to turn around and re-sell the A-1, fully tested, re-sealed and accurately described, and guaranteed to work, and end up nearly totally funding the purchase of the 2 Minoltas with it. One thing about ebay - it does give someone who's highly knowledgeable about the gear the opportunity to add value, as much of this stuff is sold by people who are not knowledgeable at all.

Plus this way, I get to handle, and learn about, and fondle and use for a short time, classic gear that I couldn't afford way back when it was new. That's how I treat a chronic case of GAS that would otherwise be terminal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haha! Doug, that is a great "treatment" for your condition. :-) It will never cure the problem, but then...why would you want to? :-) Sounds like you've found the perfect was to live with GAS.

Jed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin