Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,048   Online: 895

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

advice on buying a Minolta XD-11

A Minolta X-300 was given to me for free 6 months ago, today while looking for a new wide angle lens I found this sale

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/1195203866.html

I email the person and ask if lenses were Rokkor or other. The response was:

"Don't know if it's the Rokkor-x series, you'd have to come take a look. All the lenses are in great shape"

I wasn't looking for a new body, but do you guys thing the price is right. As an starter photographer with film, will the XD-11 body give me more chances to get better, sharper pictures than my actual X-300?
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An XD-11 is a great camera - one of the best ones Minolta ever made. But a good photographer will make just about exactly the same caliber of photos with an X-300 or an XD-11. By far the most important factor is the photographer themself, and the next most important is the lens, and the X-300 and XD-11 use the same lenses. The camera body is much less significant in influencing the quality of the photos.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

As to lens identification, ask them to read the print on the lens identification ring located around the front of the lens.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an XE-1 (XE-7) with those three focal lengths. That setup suits me fine.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    is $165 a bit high? what would be a reasonable offer for this set?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeb82 View Post
    is $165 a bit high? what would be a reasonable offer for this set?
    It's probably an OK deal, depending on condition and specifics on lens, flash, and (to a lesser extent) filters and case. I would expect to pay about $115-130 for a XD-11 body in known excellent condition (functionally and cosmetically).

Ad says "excellent condition". When was the last time he used it and what were the results? Very good chance he hasn't in a long time and really doesn't know if it still works. Does he really know the shutter, meter, film advance, etc work? Can you return it if it doesn't work (and believe that you'll get your money back?

XD11s had a common problem with the leather covering shrinking so that gaps appeared at the edges of the covering. Cosmetic issue only but you decide if it's important to you.

50mm lens will almost certainly be Minolta Rokkor. f1.7 is typical. If f2.0 it's worth a bit less and if f1.4 it's worth more.

28mm is a very useful focal length for most people. If Rokkor, great. If Minolta Celtic OK, if a 3rd party brand then not worth a lot. Same for 135mm, except that most find that focal length not as useful. But that's personal taste. Condition is important; any dust inside, oil on the aperture blades, fungus?

Flash worth anywhere from $2 to perhaps $35 depending on specifics. If it's a "dedicated" Minolta flash or a Vivitar 283, it's at the high end of that range. If it's a small flash without bounce capability then the low end.

Filters worth a couple of bucks each if decent brand (Vivitar, Hoya, Tiffen), not scratched up, and are ones you would use. Worth more if Minolta brand or B+W brand.

Case - who knows. If it's one that you would use, it's probably worth a few dollars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    got it all for $100, It's a 135mm celtic, just realized apperture doesn't open and close all the way, will be using only at 3.5 I guess, damm so many things to look at only in a lunch break! The leather is coming of the sides but camera seems ok, the batteries were death, a quick trip to radio shack and camera worked, I offered $100 due to 135mm being a CELTIC and death batteries. Too bad the 135 is not functioning well.

Shooter
    35mm
    If the camera is in good working condition, it's a good deal. Well done

And as someone else said, the camera makes not much difference to the photos (in most cases) but it *does* make a difference to the photographer - photography is a lot more enjoyable if you like the gear you're using

As a matter of fact, I have found that some camera bodies *can* make it easier to take better photos - IMO, features such as flash compensation, DOF preview and so on can improve your ratio of keepers.

Have fun!!!

Regards,
    Gordon
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minolta XD-11 are known for failures of the shutter. Have that calibrated just in case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what were the other lenses? Also try working the aperture for a bit, it could just be gummed up from lack of use.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin