Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,100   Online: 984

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=pentaxuser;809721]
    Quote Originally Posted by nicefor88 View Post
    Sorry, but what's the point of taking pictures with a 50-year old veteran, heavy, bulky and left-behind camera that should be found only in a museum?
    :rolleyes:
    Have you ever used a Nikon F? It is a very nice experience, all the controls are exactly where they should be and it just feels really precise. Also, it will work with almost any Nikon-mount lens, even most of the autofocus ones (manually-focused, of course). Give one a try sometime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same question could be asked about shooting film in the wrong crowd.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Have you ever used a Nikon F? It is a very nice experience, all the controls are exactly where they should be and it just feels really precise.
    Well, except for the shutter release, which is clearly NOT in the right place. Something that they didn't get right until the F2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F has it in the right place, and it also had the neat feature of rotating along with the film sprockets. Very handy when having to backup the film for a double exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    The F has it in the right place, and it also had the neat feature of rotating along with the film sprockets. Very handy when having to backup the film for a double exposure.
    No it's not in the right place. Why do you think EVERY camera since has had it in the front, not the back? Because it's an unnatural position, and the ergonomic studies showed that it's FAR better in the front.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    I do think multiple exposure is somewhat difficult with the F. We are all biased a little by what we first experience; my first serious 35mm camera was an eye-level Nikon F. Having one in my hands feels like "home."

Not that I'm buying a "new" one for $5000!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know I'm biased, but having bought my first very well used one 42 years ago, and I've been using it ever since, I'm entitled.

Oh a new one would be soooooooo tempting, but the accounting dept would go ballistic I'm sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicefor88 View Post
    Sorry, but what's the point of taking pictures with a 50-year old veteran, heavy, bulky and left-behind camera that should be found only in a museum?
    That describes nearly all of my cameras.

The answer is - because I want to.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=rthomas;809801]
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

Have you ever used a Nikon F? It is a very nice experience, all the controls are exactly where they should be
    Controls exactly where they should be?!!!?

I think Nikon designers went to great pains to make sure that the advance lever would get tangled up in the strap rings and that the right index finger would start to cramp after a while....

That said, despite the ergonomic quirks, I do agree that it is a wonderful camera to use and it is perhaps my 4th or 5th favourite camera.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most of my cameras, if they aren't in fact nearly a century old, certainly look it. So, by comparison, the F is a marvel of advanced technology.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin