Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,190   Online: 1175

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The release was exactly where they found it. On the LTM Leicas.
    The "new" F will go into some collectors cabinet or safe deposit box only to be massaged once & again on important occasions. Probably in smoking jacket and with a snifter of brandy(the owner not the camera).
    Rather than new, it's probably a camera bought & stored for years and technically is used since a new camera would have been bought from the distributor shortly after manufacture.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 06-08-2009 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    £2850 for a double page spread according to their AP's card, how much do they expect to get for this camera?!
    http://www.ipcadvertising.com/resour...v87nkoyaph.pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "£2850 for a double page spread according to their AP's card, how much do they expect to get for this camera?!"

Almost irrelevant. If they have photography forums buzzing about it, it's money well spent!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK hows that work they have 1 camera to sell for £5k and they spend £3k advertising it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They have a double page spread most weeks regardless.

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They spend 3K to advertise a 5K camera, but because of the buzz, and all the people calling about it, they sell a further 10 cameras that they wouldn't have, so that's how they make back the cost.

Shooter
    35mm
    When I still had my old F, I tried to find a plain pentaprism for it. Literally every one I inspected had horrible prism damage caused by the rotting foam that was pressing against it inside. This damage is caused purely by time. Wonder how this "new" one looks or if someone intervened and eliminated the problem in time. John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had no problem finding a plain prism for mine. And fortuitously, it had a small ding on it, which prevented it from reaching the collectible prices that they often do nowadays. I paid something like $78 for mine a few years ago, and it's optically fine. I now use it on one of my F2 bodies. I sold my last F body with a non-working FTn Photomic head a couple of weeks ago, to make room for a nearly pristine fully working Nikkormat FT3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd think that any Nikon F that has been in a box for 40+ years will need some work done in order to be fully usable:
    Foam probably needs replacing, lubricants, including the shutter ones, are likely to have hardened, springs haven't been exercised & so on...

As a user, this "new" camera would probably need at least a CLA.
    Lightly but constantly used cameras are more likely to be in good working order.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Quote Originally Posted by nicefor88 View Post
    Instead of usind the word 'new' they should have said 'mint, or pristine, or still-in-the-box-that-was-never-opened-since-the-sixties'.
    Sorry, but what's the point of taking pictures with a 50-year old veteran, heavy, bulky and left-behind camera that should be found only in a museum?
    :rolleyes:
    (sincere apologies to all Nikon F fan clubs from around the world, I fully respect your devotion to this venerable ancestor)
    What's the point of taking pictures at all?
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin