Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,297   Online: 1104

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Front element focusing Tessar. A good thing?

I have a Rollei 35 and I have notice that when focused to infinity, the FOV seems to be much wider then in the viewfinder.

I understand that with front focusing tessar, the focal length changes with different distance, but is it by a significant amount? What about FOV?

Is there a chart where I can see the FOV according the focus distance?

I am about to do a series of long exposure night photo on 135 film. And am deciding between taking a Spotmatic with a 35mm lens or the little Rollei. If the FOV for the Rollei at infinity indeed approach that of the 35mm SLR lens, then perhaps I should just go for the Rollei for the mobility and lower level of vibration. Is this thinking sound, afterall at f8 all lenses are fairly similar?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At infinity it should be 40mm focal length with 57 degree angle of view. An SLR lens of 35mm focal length will have its widest angle of view at infinity also. You should compare them side-by-side and see if the extra view of a 35mm lens is what you want.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 06-05-2009 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the 35 have front element focusing?

My Sonnar-equipped models don't (just checked to be sure)....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Tessar's and Triotar's are front cell (element) focusing, which is a compromise and won't be quite as sharp as a lens focussed as a complete unit, but they are far cheaper to make.

This is what makes the Sonnar versions far more desirable.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an original Rollei 35 from 1966 which was made in Germany and a later Rollei 35 which was made in Singapore. In general a unit focusing lens will be better than a front focusing lens. In the case of the Rollei 35 I don't think you will see a big difference because it doesn't have very close focusing. I have never used a Rollei 35 with the f/2.8 lens but the f/3.5 Tessars on my camera seem pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never used a Rollei 35 with a Tessar, only the Sonnar, but I wonder if in practice, at closer distances, the lack of a rangerfinder might negatively affect the image more than a front cell focusing lens.

That's not to say I haven't had some extremely sharp (lucky?) closer-range images from it, I just wonder how much of a difference the front cell focusing makes.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have just done some really good portrait photo at 0.9m, it was the only camera I had with me at the time but I pressed it into service.

Very happy with the results and close ranger performance of the 40mm tessar. Don;t think front cell focusing limits it at all.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin