Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,530   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Honeywell Pentax

About a year ago my brother-in-law gave me a 35mm camera since he knew I still use film, and he's gone completely digital. I took the camera, with thanks, brought it home and promptly forgot I had it until yesterday, when I went to scavenge the lens for my late son's K-1000. Surprise, surprise! It's not a bayonet mount, it's a 2.0 55mm Super Takumar, 42mm Pentax screw mount! I have a whole new (old) camera to play with. Everything seems to be working just fine, I use the Sunny f/16-11-8 Rule to guestimate exposure on a sunny day, and I'm going to run a roll of Ilford SP4 + through it and see what happens.

I don't plan to sell it; I really want to see what happens when I use it. I think it's going to be FUN! I really like these old working-order cameras, I think they're neat and many are esthetically pleasing, as well as goo working cameras for amateurs like me, who don't need to deliver the bacon but can indulge ourselves with free or inexpensive older cameras.

BTW, I didn't know I was supposed to shoot B/W: my Muse told me so, and she's always been right so far. (My Muse is not to be confused with my Significant Other, AKA She Who Must Be Obeyed, AKA The Ultimate Mater Of All Living Things At Our House). They are two entirely separate entities.

Cheers, and best regards to all.

Stephen S. Mack

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mu best advicce: make sure that your Ultimate Master of All Living Things at Your House doesn't find out about your Muse. That could get ugly in a hurry.

Shooter
    35mm
    My Muse is internal; she's not a girl-friend.

With best regards.

Stephen S. Mack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have a very wise Muse, and the Spotmatic is one of the very best of the old school SLR's, you will have fun with it. Trouble is, there are so many great screw mount lenses about that this may become an addiction, be warned, as significant others often don't understand this!
    Tony

Shooter
    Large Format
    A lot of photographers have 'delivered the bacon' using that camera. Enjoy!

-30-

Shooter
    35mm
    For some reason I forgot to mention that the camera is a Honeywell Pentax. Model H1a. Don't how I managed to neglect that detail.

With best regards to all.

Stephen S. Mack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah -- pre-Spotmatic then with no meter. Nice. In case you are not that familiar with that model, on the rewind knob the color of the "R" will indicate whether it is the earlier (green R) or later (orange R) version. This only makes a difference in collector status (somewhat) and the ability to mount some lenses (probably more important). This chart lays it all out for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    For some reason I forgot to mention that the camera is a Honeywell Pentax. Model H1a. Don't how I managed to neglect that detail.

With best regards to all.

Stephen S. Mack
    That's the one I have. I borrowed it from my dad when I was a kid and he still hasn't gotten it back. It's a great camera. I learned more from using it than from any other.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, Bethe!

That sounds like *my* daughter: she borrowed my Canon AE-1 and kept it for 12+ years. I got it back about 2 years ago!!

With best regards.

Stephen S. Mack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    Hi, Bethe!

That sounds like *my* daughter: she borrowed my Canon AE-1 and kept it for 12+ years. I got it back about 2 years ago!!

With best regards.

Stephen S. Mack
    Well, I've offered "mine" back to my dad, but he says he needs autofocus now (trifocals). And it's been over 20 years, too. Though mom always reminds me that it's still dad's camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin