Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,765   Online: 873

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too Sharp?

Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    A lens is never too sharp.
    Some people don't want to face the truth, yes.
    But a lens is never too sharp.

Many lenses are not sharp enough.

You can dumb down a sharp lens. If you really dare not face the truth.
    But you can never get anything good out of a 'not sharp' lens.
    Some 'sharp' lenses have horrid bokeh
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People forget that there are ways to de-sharpen a sharp lens. Filters with petroleum jelly; nylon under the printing lens; and so on, and so on...

But (short of Photoshop, which doesn't really create sharpness, anyway; it creates the illusion of it) there is no way to sharpen the image of an unsharp lens.

Mark's point about bokeh is valid, but I'm answering the question in the absence of all other criteria. A lens cannot be too sharp. If it is sharp at the expense of other important factors, the sharpness is not the problem, the lack of the other factors is the problem, and that's a fair nit to pick.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    I think one could find a lens too sharp when portraits show very clearly wrinkles, pimples and other 'undesirable things'. Though they're there, a good photographer should try to erase some... to get lots of positive comments from female models (men would probably also value such improvements but not say it...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    I do wish people would consider that sharpness in photography has less to do with the lens and everything to do with the mind behind the camera :rolleyes:

I for one think that the answer of relative sharpness all depends on what you are seeing, and how you wish to communicate it. So the answer is yes, a lens can be too sharp....and the same lens can also be too soft.
    Perfect illustration of the what a lens does vs what you want a lens to do thing.

A lens that shows most of what there is to show isn't bad because it does.
    It perhaps is because you don't want it to be.

So a lens is never too sharp.
    But you may find a lens too sharp.
    And when you do, the lens still is not too sharp.

It boils down to the you can dumb a good lens down, but not 'smarten up' a bad lens thing.

You can find a good lens too sharp and do something about it.
    You can find a lens not sharp enough and then find you can do nothing about it.

So a lens is never too sharp.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    So do some 'unsharp' lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    This is a non sequitor, bokeh has nothing to do with sharpness.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicefor88 View Post
    I think one could find a lens too sharp when portraits show very clearly wrinkles, pimples and other 'undesirable things'. Though they're there, a good photographer should try to erase some... to get lots of positive comments from female models (men would probably also value such improvements but not say it...)
    If the negs are too sharp, you can desharpen them. It can be done without digital techniques, even.

If they are not sharp enough... well... sorry.

You can work around too much sharpness. Too little is incurable.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Or print it with a stocking folded over several times. You may need a cigarette to burn holes for the eyes. :rolleyes:

Steve
    The old trick was to use the Cellophane that came on the outside of packs of Galois cigarettes and born holes in the middle with a cigarette before fastening it in front of the camera lens with a rubber band.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old trick was to use the Cellophane that came on the outside of packs of Galois cigarettes and born holes in the middle with a cigarette before fastening it in front of the camera lens with a rubber band.
    You probably mean Gauloises which is a brand of strong stinky French cigarettes. Don't I know about them... Back to the OP no, I don't think a lens can be too sharp. This is a tool like any other, you just need to use the right tool for the job; if you shoot a flattering portrait you stay away from the Micro Mikkor 55mm/ 3.5 which is insanely sharp.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    I have seen plenty Holga images that dispute this statement.
    I have never seen a Holga image that doesn't.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin