Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,074   Online: 1058

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Too Sharp?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why do we do this?

Good morning;

An interesting topic. Admittedly, I have never fully understood the concept of spending $ 2000, or more, for a lens, then going out and spending an additional $ 250, or more, for a Carl Zeiss "Softar" filter to put in front of the lens to destroy most of the design and engineering work that was put into it.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You must list your criteria for something to be defined as "too sharp" before the question can be answered.

The status of "too sharpness" will also change for each situation you are in, depending on your desired results.

In other words, due to the variable meaning of the term "too sharp", only YOU can answer your question. Reading anything on the matter from any of us is pointless.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-16-2009 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    It's a lot easier to contrive a soft image with a sharp lens than it is to get a sharp image out of a soft lens.
    Isn't this why Zeiss Softars & Nikon Soft Focus filters
    were invented ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    Isn't this why Zeiss Softars & Nikon Soft Focus filters
    were invented ?
    Yes, primarily for bad taste wedding and glamour portraits I think...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin