Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,874   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too Sharp?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Too Sharp?

Good afternoon,

Can you think of any 35mm lenses that are too sharp?

Thanks,

Clint

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    None are too sharp.

However that opens up a can of worms, the debate bout Japanese & German lens design parameters.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's not possible for a lens to be too sharp.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Way back in the 1970's I produced a tight head and shoulder portrait of my lady friend, with a 55mm Nikon Macro lens in strong lighting on Kodachrome film stock. I loved the sharpness. She screamed "I DON"T need a photographer, I NEED a plastic surgeon"! Yes sometimes things can be too sharp.

Sam H.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Or the Tessar vs Planar debate. In fact what we perceive as sharpness are more often than not actually contrast more then resolving power or resolution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many (typically German) 85-90mm f/2.8 lenses are "too" sharp or harsh-looking for flattering or pleasing portraits. In some cases that also corresponds with less than ideal bokeh.
    Their f/2.0 or f/1.4 brothers are usually softer at full aperture and better suited for portraits, usually throwing in great bokeh as well (the Nikkor 105 f/2.5 also has this behaviour).

For non-portrait use, those "too-sharp" lenses are usually great!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not 35mm, but MF. I have been told that the 100mm Hasselblad lens is brutally sharp for women's portraits.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a lot easier to contrive a soft image with a sharp lens than it is to get a sharp image out of a soft lens.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are some sharp lenses out there, notably the enlarger lenses come to my mind. In 35mm photography probably the sharpest lenses are the short tele like the 75/2 Apo Summicron ASPH, 100/2.8 APO MAkro Elmarit, the Zeiss Makro Planar 100/2 ZF and the Sonnar 85/2 ZM. The MTF curves of these lenses even wide open will show you the 40lp/mm line horizontal and well above 60, stopped down above 80, for the moment nothing gets really better than that in the 35mm photography. I use the MP 100/2, and with some sharp film the results can be frightening: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5917703...17250/sizes/l/ BTW, the bokeh of this lens is wonderful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A lens too sharp?? A girl too pretty?? Having too much money?? Easter Bunny??? 4 things that don't exist. But I find that there are other factor than sharpness that go into making a great lens. 99% of the lenses have an acceptable degree of sharpness.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin