Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,823   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Nikon FM3a @ a HS Graduation

Any reason why I shouldn't shoot a small High school graduation of 35 12th graders with my Nikon FM3A and 3 primes (28, 50, 105) plus a Nikon SB-30 TTL Flash? I was planning on using Fuji Superia 400 color prints. The graduation is at 7 PM (still light) but surely won't end until darkness sets in. Probably can shoot flash less in the beginning but will certainly need the flash later to setup graduates with their parents for shots. It will be in a small auditorium with average lightning. I could probably get away with shooting 800 ISO and no flash but I am afraid to take the risk.
    My other alternative would be to shoot digi.............................
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're shooting color film under tungsten lighting there will be a yellow cast to the prints.I'd use the Nikon for available light shots and switch to the digi. indoors.
    Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    If you're shooting color film under tungsten lighting there will be a yellow cast to the prints.I'd use the Nikon for available light shots and switch to the digi. indoors.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Would I still get the yellow cast even if I use a flash 100% of the time?
    Akiva S.

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Would I still get the yellow cast even if I use a flash 100% of the time?
    No.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Regardless of whether you're using film or digital, I would try to get most of the important photos taken early, in good light. In dim light, it's going to be very tough to get nice, pleasingly lit group shots.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aparat View Post
    Regardless of whether you're using film or digital, I would try to get most of the important photos taken early, in good light. In dim light, it's going to be very tough to get nice, pleasingly lit group shots.
    Sorry to stupid but even with a flash?
    Akiva S.

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just casual or are you the photographer? If you are the guy whose supposed to be covering this event, then use flash with every shot...fill flash. Don't worry about being obnoxious with the flash...they expect it. Get a bracket to hold the flash as far away from the optic axis as possible, and one that swings so you can do portrait mode. Swap the SB-30 for one that can take a small softbox, and one that can swivel. You can probably rent a flash for $25, and a bracket for $5. Carry spare rechargeable batteries, fully charged.

You can strip off the flash and bracket later and shoot fast black and white for the candid, extemporaneous thing.

Film or digital, you'll still need a proper flashhead for indoors, so same problems and same solutions.

That's my advice, for what it's worth. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kivis View Post
    Sorry to stupid but even with a flash?
    The strobe will balance the color within the range of the flash, even fill-in flash.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    Just casual or are you the photographer? If you are the guy whose supposed to be covering this event, then use flash with every shot...fill flash. Don't worry about being obnoxious with the flash...they expect it. Get a bracket to hold the flash as far away from the optic axis as possible, and one that swings so you can do portrait mode. Swap the SB-30 for one that can take a small softbox, and one that can swivel. You can probably rent a flash for $25, and a bracket for $5. Carry spare rechargeable batteries, fully charged.

You can strip off the flash and bracket later and shoot fast black and white for the candid, extemporaneous thing.

Film or digital, you'll still need a proper flashhead for indoors, so same problems and same solutions.

That's my advice, for what it's worth. Good luck!
    What he said.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've used a Fm3a plus Nikon SB-16 with K64 for something equivalnet. The TTL flash coupling with the Fm3a in AUTO makes for a very easy shoot. 400ASA is really not needed and I would shoot it all with flash.-Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin