Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,727   Online: 1174

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FL 50mm lens for AE-1

I am looking to buy a FL 50mm f/1.2 lens for my wife camera Canon AE-1 that I like to use here and there. Is anyone familiar with this lens?

Is there any difference between FL lenses and FD lenses for the AE-1?
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't recommend it, FL lenses can only be used in the stopped down metering mode, and are not suitable for the metering system on the AE-1 because you lose all the auto functions, as a long time Canon user myself I think you would be better off buying your wife a lens of more modest aperture because a f 1.2 is a very big heavy lens, and is overkill for anything she might use it for, I would suggest you go for the FDn 50mm f1.4 lens which is IMHO the best bang for you're buck of the FD 50mm lenses,and far less expensive than the 1.2 .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Ben, the FL 50 1.2 is a great lens but you can't use it for metering etc. The FD 50 1.4 is better overall for the AE-1.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the above posts; for an AE-1, the 50mm f/1.4 is the way to go. With it, get a good lens hood and a couple of B+W filters, and you'll be all set. Check out KEH for current available lenses: http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/home.aspx

Best,

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by a.horodysky View Post
    I agree with the above posts; for an AE-1, the 50mm f/1.4 is the way to go. With it, get a good lens hood and a couple of B+W filters, and you'll be all set. Check out KEH for current available lenses: http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/home.aspx

Best,

Andrew
    Will I be ok if I use a sekoniclight meeter. Long story short, about 15 years ago when my wife and I were dating she had this camera with a 1.2 lens, I never changed a lens in my life before so I broke some pin and the repairman said that was it. I am looking to make up 15 years later and surprise her with another 1.2. A guy is selling it for $90. What do you think, if I can use a meeter it is a minor pain I guess, I saw other lenses Canon 55mm 1.2, but they sell for around $300.
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you /must/ use the FL lens on an AE-1.. From what I can tell it appears the camera thinks the lens is at f5.6 (no matter what it actually is). This is surprisingly convenient because the range for the needle centers on f5.6!

So in use, I think this is the way to do it: start with the lens wide open and adjust the shutter speed until the meter needle centers (on f5.6). Then shoot! if you want to over-expose, adjust the shutter speed so the needle is physically higher (at f8, 11, etc) and leave the lens wide open. If you want to under-expose, just adjust the shutter speeds so that the meter is physically lower (at f4, 2.8, etc).
    Now if you want to stop the lens down, it can get complicated. The easy way would be to just set the lens to M and use stop-down metering **BTW the camera will still think your at f5.6**

The harder way would be to leave the lens in A mode. Set the aperture down N stops, but then adjust the shutter speed like you are going to over-expose by N stops. For example set the lens at F4 (2 stops down) and then set the shutter so the needle is 2 stops higher (at f11). -In other words, change the shutter speeds so the camera thinks you need to stop down your f5.6 lens to f11 (2 stops), then tell your lens to stop down 2 stops (in auto mode)

This sounds confusing and I have not tried it but I think it will work.
    Last edited by darinwc; 06-13-2009 at 03:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FL will work, just not meter wide open.
    Use the stop down metering method in the instruction book.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin