Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,270   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, on a related note, anyone have any experience with the Kiev/Arsat 30mm f3.5 MF fisheye lens? I just picked one up for an utterly ridiculous price (the result of the foolish tactic of an auction starting at $1 and closing on a Saturday evening).

Now I need to decide what to use/adapt it onto.

I paid so little for this lens that it's even worth what I spent on it if all it is is a paperweight and conversation starter (would you believe $59 plus $15 shipping, for a supposedly brand new medium format fisheye lens).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

Hartblei takes Russian or Ukranian lenses and rebuilds them to their specs.
    I have a 65mm with Hasselblad 2000 mount which is excellent. Costs less than $300
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 35 and 85 TS Arsat, and am very happy with them. I also have the adapter for my P6 lenses to my Nikons: works great, especially with the 2,8/180 Sonnar CZJ.
    The 30mm is fun to use!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 35mm f2.8 Arsat shift lens for Nikon. Paint, finish and quality control is not up to par with other German and Japanese name brands but it is wonderfully sharp and the shift function is smooth and effective. I haven't used it for a while as there is a big fleck of what I suspect is loose black paint smack in the middle of the lens. It probably would not affect the image quality but is annoying to look at through the finder. Like most things you get what you pay for!
    I just checked and I bought mine on EBay in 2001 (my first purchase believe it or not) from a seller called ustas (Pavel Gubanov) who is no longer registered (since 2006). It was a simple hassle-free transaction at the time despite my trepidation about my first buy. Pavel was good to deal with and communicated well so I would not hesitate to use a similar well-rated seller again.
    For a while after I got the lens I went around pointing it up at tall things and experimenting with the degrees of correction possible. One example attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nightmusic.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Well, on a related note, anyone have any experience with the Kiev/Arsat 30mm f3.5 MF fisheye lens? I just picked one up for an utterly ridiculous price (the result of the foolish tactic of an auction starting at $1 and closing on a Saturday evening).
    I do have one of those, yes (had put a Hasselblad mount on it).

It is a fun lens.
    But not good, lacking in contrast, and very susceptible to flare. (And i do have the multicoated version).
    Not very sharp either.

Yet fun.

The mechanics of it are rather iffy too.

The pin operating the 'automatic' diaphragm had to come out in the conversion, turning the diaphragm into a full manual one. Not a problem.

The diaphragm steering curve (a small bit of metal a guiding pin slides along) is bad. Too short, so the pin tends to slip off at either end (which end depends on how i set this bit of metal). The accuracy of this setting mechanism will be not very high too.
    But it can be solved: i just need to make a new, better steering curve and replace the one the factory put in.
    The click stop of the aperture ring is rather 'undecided' too, and the ring has quite a bit of play.

The focussing mechanism however is firm and precise. No problem there.

It is said that there is a large sample spread, and the problems my lens has may be absent from yours. But for that, you may find a bunch of other issues.

The auto-diaphragm pin was not the only thing that had to come off in the conversion to Hasselblad mount. The rear mounted filters would be dangerously close to the swinging mirror, so they had to come off too.
    The thickness of the glass of these filters however is part of the optical design of the lens, so removing them may produce a slight reduction in image quality. Theoretically, that is. But all they do in reality (besides filtering) is move the image back slightly, and as long as the infinity focus is set properly in the conversion, not a problem.

You could get a Kiev camera to use it on.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 06-14-2009 at 09:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On page 1 center page it says;
    Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

What it should have said was;
    " Photography without film is like digital, without thousands & thousands of dollars wasted on obsolete
    cameras, computers & software..." Yup, that's how we fix the economy, useless consumerist spending.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And yet another film vs digital thing appears out of nowhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post

Now I need to decide what to use/adapt it onto.

I paid so little for this lens that it's even worth what I spent on it if all it is is a paperweight and conversation starter (would you believe $59 plus $15 shipping, for a supposedly brand new medium format fisheye lens).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported
    ARRGGG! If you get tired of it, I'd be happy to reimburse you for that lens! I have been trying to catch one inexpensively for a while for my Kiev 88 kit.

Astounding.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have some pictures that I did with three T/S lenses on flickr at > http://www.flickr.com/photos/65693717@N00 -
    Loreo PCS lens (less than $25 from Hong Kong), then the 45mm MIR 26B and Arsat shift adapter, and finally the Hartblei Super Rotator. I've also used the 30mm Arsat fish eye on my K88CM, but do not have anything scanned to post. My back was to the sun, so I did not see any flare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My brother just bought a shift adapter for his D2X. The adapter rotates and shifts and fits all of my Pentacon Six lenses. He's trying it out this weekend. I'll post his results later. I don't know if this is indicative of all the Ukr shift adapters. but there is a lot of slack in the shjift dovetails. and the lens is wobbly in the mount. It doesn't seem to matter regarding light leaks, but it feels a little disconcerting. Cool gizmo though.

ps. the mount is plastic. I dont think it would hold the weight of my jupiter 250/3.5
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin