Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,869   Online: 816

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Any experience with Russian Tilt and Shift adapters ?

I'm considering buying reasonably inexpensive Russian-made tilt and shift adapters that allow for Kiev/Pentacon Medium Format lenses to be used on Nikon/Canon 35mm and digital bodies.

The tilt and shift adapters each cost around $80-100, and Pentacon and Kiev lenses in the 45mm to 80mm range can all be gotten for prices under $100. So this seems like a pretty inexpensive means of getting tilt and shift capability for my Nikons. And the lenses can probably be sold for similar prices as they can be bought for, being older, mechanically simple medium format items.

Has anyone used any of these Russian tilt/shift adapters? I've heard that the Kiev and Pentacon lenses are pretty decent for the price. Any feedback or experiences doing this would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No idea about the adapter, but the Zeiss Jena 50mm is a very good lens.

The Kiev 45mm often fares poorly, probably because of frequent bad samples. Rebuilt/readjusted ones are supposed to be quite good.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about the adapters, but I do own a Russian Arax 85mm T/S lens. Quality is surprisingly good from around f5.6 onwards (edge and centre). However, it does flare very easily and images are quite low in contrast - whether because of or as well as, I'm not sure. Whatever you get, make sure you use a good, deeeeep hood!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You do know that Kiev, Arsenal, and Arax too, are not Russian?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pardon me, Ukranian. But actually, when most of this stuff was made, it was Soviet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Indeed.
    But the Soviet Union was not just Russia.

Anyway, it's rather off-topic.
    Sorry!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Q.G.,

Keep them honest!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    You do know that Kiev, Arsenal, and Arax too, are not Russian?

Greatly appreciated. I'm concerned that if I start pointing it out, it'll look like a rant.

On a related note, here in Kyiv, Ukraine, the Arsenal factory store isn't working on Saturdays over the summer. Arrg - I found out the hard way this morning.
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No problem, I knew where the stuff was from, but I used a sloppy and incorrect shorthand, since most of us western folks tend to think of all of this Soviet-bloc stuff as "Russian". If I were from there, I'd probably have taken umbrage as well.

I still would love to hear from anyone who's used either the tilt or shift adapters, or any of the particular Kiev or Pentacon lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sorry, but i never tried the adapters, so i will not grill you over "most of us western folks".

There are (were?) also shorter focal lengths tilt and tilt/shift lenses available from "behind the former iron curtain", that came with a fixed mount (no adapter) for several brands, among which Nikon. I believe they were 35 mm.
    Perhaps a better choice for use on a 35 mm camera than the longer MF lenses?
    Last edited by Q.G.; 06-13-2009 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin