Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,316   Online: 978

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sigma 24mm f/2.8 EOS compatibility issue

Hi

I would like to buy the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 AF Super Wide II for my EOS 300 aka REBEL 2000. I suspect, however, that there may be a lens chip compability problem and that the lens will not work on the camera body. It may work in all modes or in P or TV mode but not AV or manual or it may not work at all. I am not sure about it. Has anyone used this combination? Will it work or would I need to get an older eos body for it? Any help is very much appreciated!
    Last edited by bagdad child; 06-12-2009 at 05:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    جزاك الله خير

My website

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have used the Sigma 24/2,8 II on my EOS50 (Elan II). When stopping down the lens it gave an error. Regardless of the Program it worked only wide open. Sigma confirmed that the lens does not work on this camera and that there is no upgrade possible.
    Reaction on a different camera might be different but since the 300 is younger I wouldn't bet on this.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for this information! I was considering getting one of these for my fiancee, who needs a wide-angle lens for her Rebel K2, but now that I know this I will choose another lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Andreas for your very useful information! I suspect the lens will not work properly on the EOS 300 either. I read on another forum that the lens doesn't work on a 300V.

Thomas, a solution may be to get the lens and an older eos body like the EOS 500 or EOS 630 which will accept the lens. These older EOS bodies can be found for much less than the lens will cost. I have done some research on the lens and looked at many photos and it really is an excellent lens and if found for around $50, a bargain. The MTF values at photodo are better than the ones for the Canon 24mm f/2.8 EF lens.
    جزاك الله خير

My website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An update:

After further research I found a German guy who did an interesting test of the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super-Wide vs. the Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 and two zooms at 24mm. The camera used in the test was an EOS 300! So I decided to buy the lens. I'll report back once I have it delivered whether it really works or not. There are a few accounts by people who tried to use the lens on the EOS 50E and EOS 30 and it wouldn't work, but oddly the EOS 300 is supposed to accept it although the EOS 300 was introduced four later than the EOS 50E.

The test seems to confirm the excellent test results at photodo. The Sigma looks sharper than the Canon 24mm f/2.8 at f/2.8 while they are hard to tell apart at f/5.6. The Sigma vignetted more than the Canon, slightly noticable even at f/5.6, and it is probably more prone to flare than the Canon.

link to the German test: http://www.drosophyllum.com/Foto/24mm/24mm.htm

link to the photodo MTF data for the Sigma 24mm f/2.8: http://www.photodo.com/product_433_p4.html
    جزاك الله خير

My website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin