Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,573,003   Online: 834

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

what is the greatest power winder noise...

please forgive the boys and toys nature of the question..

i was shooting today,i have a contax n1 a nikon f6 and a nikon f4s.
    all the cameras have a very lovely positive fire and transport sound.
    but the f4 i think makes the most perfect noise,a little brutal maybe but a sound that seems to instill confidence.the other thing that has surprised and impressed me about the f4 is it's backward and forward compatibility,with really old manual and modern autofocus lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The greatest power winder noise is that which you do not hear at all.
    No power winder manages to be that quiet. Alas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Hexar AF had an autowinder that was near silent (or, at least in silent mode) but i don't have one so i'm not sure (i'd like to though).

My Polaroid 232SL is pretty quiet. Or, at least when i'm using it it's quiet enough i can't hear it over "Who just took a picture?!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon FM2n and MD-11, noisy and just like the sound at the start of Duran Duran's 'girls on film'.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alan doyle View Post
    please forgive the boys and toys nature of the question..

i was shooting today,i have a contax n1 a nikon f6 and a nikon f4s.
    all the cameras have a very lovely positive fire and transport sound.
    but the f4 i think makes the most perfect noise,a little brutal maybe but a sound that seems to instill confidence.the other thing that has surprised and impressed me about the f4 is it's backward and forward compatibility,with really old manual and modern autofocus lens.

I think the F4's winder sounds like a sick coughing cat. And it's not just my camera...they all sound like it (IMO)!

Anyways, my favorite winder sound has to be the Nikon F100. It sounds the way a :rolleyes:REAL:rolleyes: camera should sound like.

Also, any kind of medium format power winder sound make my ears happy. Especially the Bronica power winders. They sound like trains...quieter though, of course.

Edit: Does the Polaroid SX-70 film eject sound count? I get chills down my spine every time I hear one of things go off.
    Last edited by AlexG; 06-15-2009 at 04:22 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added somethin'

Shooter
    35mm RF
    MD-4 running with a just off the charger MN-2 Ni-cad pack, lock the mirror up and let it fly. Truly awe inspiring, the tack-tack with that shutter is so sweet. The spring loaded snapback of the MD-12/11 is cool too, and is the 'Girls on Film' sound creator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon EOS 1 RS when set in RS mode, great sound but only lasts 3 1/2 seconds for a roll of film
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=AlexG;813009]I think the F4's winder sounds like a sick coughing cat. And it's not just my camera...they all sound like it (IMO)!

i think you need too feed your cat some cream,maybe it does not like the chinese kodak ultra your giving it.
    try some kodak solar flare patrol film,the cameras love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sound of a Leningrad firing (A Soviet 1950'-60's spring motor-driven Leica M semi-clone): The spring motor itself makes no noise, but the loud "Clack! Clock!" of the shutter cocking and firing sounds like a machine gun being loaded & cocked...
    Enough to send people within hearing range dodging for cover!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm

Motor drive sound

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    I think the F4's winder sounds like a sick coughing cat. And it's not just my camera...they all sound like it (IMO)!

Anyways, my favorite winder sound has to be the Nikon F100. It sounds the way a :rolleyes:REAL:rolleyes: camera should sound like.

Also, any kind of medium format power winder sound make my ears happy. Especially the Bronica power winders. They sound like trains...quieter though, of course.

Edit: Does the Polaroid SX-70 film eject sound count? I get chills down my spine every time I hear one of things go off.

I can't say that I have ever heard any of those cameras, with the exception of the SX-70.

I own and use two Nikon Fs, with F-36 motors, and they make a "clack-whirr/squeel" sound when they trip. They command respect...at least from their owner!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin