Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,315   Online: 1196

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a A1 and a F1 as a kit with a few lenses. During a rather cool cross country skiing trip the A1 froze up whereas the F1 seemed to enjoy the outing.
    The A1 was sold a week later.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Anyone have have experience and comments they would like to share regarding the old manual focus Canon A1? They seem to be going for decent prices lately, and while I know that only old Canon FD lenses can be used with it, it still seems like a bargain. Any known problems (sticky shutters, etc.) or quirks?
    My wife's developed an electrical problem that made it go through batteries. Cost about 120 bucks for the repair--late 1970s. I preferred my F1, having used both.
    Last edited by Anscojohn; 06-22-2009 at 06:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 A-1 with Winders. After thousands of shots they are still doing great. In spite of having many other cameras; I like the A-1

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I picked one up his year and so far like it. Had it cla'd for $45 and it's like new. If you get one find a manual. It has it's quirky side about some things like in DOF preview needing to have the lens set at aperture and outside of the AUTO lens setting, but nothings perfect (from that era compared to todays cameras) and for the small size and abilities I think it's a nice user for shooting. I took a full kit to AZ in April and got some nice shots well exposed in auto. The squeak is no big deal; Just get it lubed and have the body cla'd for seals. The meter is sensitive down to EV -2 which I think is a big plus. The lenses are cheap and top notch.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had an A-1 since 1981 and I like it. And I've found the auto-exposure to be pretty reliable (or maybe all my favorite subjects are ideal for center weighted metering).

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a beater A1.. I just replaced the seals and cleaned it up a bit. Looks much better now.
    Mine has a bit of shutter squeak which is common among all the A series.

The A1 has just about every feature you could want. You can switch modes easily and both AE modes can ba contorlled with one finger without taking the eye from the finder. I personally like the LED lit numbers, they are easy to read.

The shutter is a bit noisy and so is the advance.
    Last edited by darinwc; 06-23-2009 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used my dad's, it's a great camera. But I think it has the squeal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have two A-1 cameras with winders on them. Also, lots of great FD glass. My 70-210 f4 zoom, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2 and 200mm f2.8 are the equal of anything I have by Nikon, and I have plenty. And I rather enjoy the solid ker-chunk of the A-1 when I fire it. I also have the AE-1 Program and T-70 for a change of pace. The metering on all of them is superb. I don't like the Canon flash system as well as my Nikon, Pentax or Minolta, but the A-1 camera is something special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was my first good camera. I still think the ergonomics are better than any of my Nikons or others. Real soild. Cloth shutter so of course look out for that (probably mentioned elsewhere already). Mine's in storage on the otjer end of the continent, but soon a s I see one cheap used around here will probably fetch it. I really miss that camera. Oh, also by far the easiest to read viewfinder display ever! LEDs - compare that to that ridiculous tiny dim lcd display (with that stupid 'light' button) in the Nikon f3 (which is a camera i also like, by the way)...

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    35mm
    I had an A-1 but sold it after a few years...I'm not a fan. I also find it to be a bit gimmicky with more focus on the feature set rather than the handling. I much prefer my original F-1 which happens to be one of my favorite cameras of all time. It feels much more solid and rugged and would probably outlast me in most difficult situations. It has what's necessary for getting the best shot and not much else. With prices being as low as they are you might consider looking at an F-1.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin