Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,079   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Question about a Nikon F Photomic T

I recently acquired this camera to join my lonely FE and FM. It came with the owner's manual as well as the original warrantee cards. Having several Nikon lenses already, it was just the body.

I attached my micro NIKKOR 55mm f3.5 and noticed that though the meter tab engages the lens tang fine, it only allows me to close down to f22 where it stops, and does not allow me to use f32. I followed, or at least thought I followed, all the directions for setting up for say ISO 100 film.

Anyone have a thought on this?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are not doing anything wrong. You do not have the Photomic FTn prism. There are four metering prisms for the Nikon F, only the last one would meter down to f/32. There is a full explanation at http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...meterprism.htm

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Phew, thanks Ken. I guess I can live without f32. Also, thanks for the link.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Or, if you want to use the full range of apertures, leave the coupling pin all the way to the right, and mount the lens with the aperture ring set to f/32. Then, set the ISO dial so the red dot is lined up with 100 or whatever speed film you're using. You can then meter in stop-down mode.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did see that option after going through the manual a bit more. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photomic FTn Not Fitting?

I recently bought a Photomic FTn on eBay for my Nikon F (Serial#6809135), which was built in 1968. When I tried to mount it, the "claws" that wrap around the Nikon nameplate did not fit (see photo). Since 1968 was the year Nikon moved from the Photomic FT to the FTn, I was wondering if there could be any compatibility problems. In other words, I should have purchased an FT instead of the FTn. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photomoic L.jpg  
    Peter Abzug
    Inside Exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon changed the nameplate, the later ones have a bevel so the claws can hook under it. You can remove the plate, and file a bevel/taper on the corners.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bob. So would these mean a Photomic TN would fit without modifying the nameplate?
    Last edited by ZugPhoto; 06-26-2011 at 02:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Peter Abzug
    Inside Exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The squared off (non beveled) nameplate was for the standard prism finder.
    I had this same issue.
    Luckily I had a parts body that had a beveled nameplate and I swapped them.

There was also a mod to the mirror box component that allowed FTN meter finders to fit. There is a ridge on the top of mirror box that prevented the FTN finder from mounting on ealier bodies. This mod happened around '68 I believe and is designated by the "red dot" bodies at first. They later dropped the red dot as all bodies had the new style mirror box.

Go here
    http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html
    if you don't have the time hopefully someone (John) with the exact info will reply.
    I don't know if earlier Photomic finders fit the old nameplate and un-modded mirrorbox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it does not clip to the nameplate. The original Photomic fits as well, both are only attached by the internal mechanism.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin