Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,514   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon F1 N with the AE head if you need aperture priority metering.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Based on your criteria, I assume you want the camra to "do" as little as possible. Of course, you immediately have to decide between SLR and rangefinder.

For SLR, my vote must also go for the Olympus OM-1. It is so much smoother, quieter, smaller, and with a bigger viewfinder, than the otherwise very nice Canon/Nikon "heavy metal" cameras like the F1.

Of course, the OM-3 just builds upon the OM-1 by remaining manual, but by including arguably the best metering system ever put into an SLR.

But for the essence of what you seem to be wanting here, the OM-1 it is. It is, for lack of a better word, svelte. The Canikons are bricks, good as they are. And the Olympus Zuiko lenses are legendary.

For rangefinder, the best is surely the current Leica MP, it is built to unimaginably good standards, but then again, so are most of the M-series cameras. So, excluding the electronic M7, any Leica M is hard to beat. For a rangefinder.

You can buy 10 good OM-1's for the price of one good Leica M, though :-(

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Oooh, fun. When you say mechanical and manual, do you mean a camera that needs no batteries at all? Or a camera that needs batteries only for the meter? Or a camera that has mechanical controls and manual focus, but uses batteries for the meter and shutter?

-Laura
    Batteries for the meter is just fine. I'd just like something very fail-proof and rugged with excellent glass available.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I'll be the first Minolta voice and scream sr-T101 from the mountain tops. I love those tanks.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Pentax k-1000. Simply simple. Everything is digital, including exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd say Olympus OM-3 or OM-3Ti. The spotmetering system is incredible for manual exposure. I have 3 OM-4T bodies. The 4T is metal but has an electronically timed shutter to allow for its optional aperture-priority auto mode (which I never use). In manual mode it works identically to the OM-3/OM-3Ti but the bodies cost 1/3 as much used. I could never have gotten 3 OM-3 bodies, but I could afford the 4T in triplicate! I keep different films in each at all times. The mechanical shutter's not a big deal to me, the 4T is not a battery killer.

Another mechanical metal camera I like is the Nikon F2. Yeah, its huge and hasn't got the cool spotmeter of the Olympus 3 and 4 bodies, but it has a solid feeling that I love and it operate effortlessly. I wish I had one!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And there's a good K1000 at a bargain price - $50, in the Classifieds right now

Ian

CuS

Shooter
    35mm
    you are all high - Voigtlander Bessa R3M - period.

=)

(I'm feeling opinionated today)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In reverse order of age, Nikon FM2n, FM2, FM, F2, Canon F1, Nikon F.

There are many fewer of the Canons in the marketplace b/c they were many fewer pros using them during their era. Very good mechanical picture box if you can find one that hasn't been beaten to death.

With all due respect to the K1000, in today's market there is little reason not to have Nikon or Canon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will go with the Nikon FM, I have one that is almost mint condition.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin