Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,804   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon FL lens into a Minolta XD-11?

I have a Minolta XD-11 that works well, and then I purchased a Canon FL 50mm 1.2 for an older AE-1, the lens that seems to take great pictures, but here is my question. Is there a way I can adapt the FL Canon lens to the Minolta DX-11?
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nope. The mounts are totally incompatible, due to throat diameter and lens to film-plane distance. Get a 58mm 1.4 for the Minolta.
    Mark O'Brien
    Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfobrien/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfophotos View Post
    Get a 58mm 1.4 for the Minolta.
    There is a 50mm 1.4 too. I have one.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In general, I'd say that the Minolta 50mm f1.4 is better than the 58mm. Look for the MD-Rokkor-X version, as it will support all of the auto-exposure modes of the XD-11. None of the 58mm lenses will support the Shutter priority mode of the XD-11. That mode requires Minolta MD lenses, not MC lenses.

You won't be able to use any Canon lenses on any Minolta.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will have to have a look at mine now. I use it on an XE-1 (XE-7). It has an auto mode but I rarely use it.

EDIT: Mine is an MC Rokkor PG. Is that o.k with the XE-1 auto setting?

I assume it's fine as the XE-1 auto is aperture priority, not shutter. I have been thinking about getting an XD-11 (like I need another camera!) so it would be interesting to know what is compatible and what isn't.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the Rokkor MD 50mm f/1.4 and it is a fantastic lens. It has both a classic and modern feel, if that makes sense . It's more than sharp enough even wide-open. I think it would be a simpler and cheaper solution than trying to adapt a Canon FD lens. On the other hand, if you want to mount other, more "exotic" lenses, you may want to look into using M42 lenses with an adapter. I don't have one, but know people who do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aparat View Post
    I have the Rokkor MD 50mm f/1.4 and it is a fantastic lens. It has both a classic and modern feel, if that makes sense .
    Makes perfect sense too me, my MC lens feels that way too.

Actually, I get the same feeling about the SRT bodies too. From some angles they look modern and from others, they look classic.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Makes perfect sense too me, my MC lens feels that way too.

Actually, I get the same feeling about the SRT bodies too. From some angles they look modern and from others, they look classic.

Steve.
    I am so glad we agree! My SRT 101 feels so smooth. I could not ask for more camera! It serves my needs perfectly, and is so much joy to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I will have to have a look at mine now. I use it on an XE-1 (XE-7). It has an auto mode but I rarely use it.

EDIT: Mine is an MC Rokkor PG. Is that o.k with the XE-1 auto setting?

I assume it's fine as the XE-1 auto is aperture priority, not shutter. I have been thinking about getting an XD-11 (like I need another camera!) so it would be interesting to know what is compatible and what isn't.

Steve.
    Yes. The XD series cameras added shutter priority mode that requires the MD feature on the lens, and the X-700 requires the MD feature for program mode. All the other Minolta manual focus cameras will work perfectly in every mode with the MC-Rokkor-PG lenses. The XD series and X700 will still work fine in aperture priority mode and manual mode with those MC-lenses, just not the shutter priority and program modes I mentioned above.

I used to own an XE-1, and now I have an XE-7 which is the same camera, except in black, not chrome. The XE (Asia), XE-1 (Europe), and XE-7 (Americas) were the identical camera released for different markets. They're great cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    I used to own an XE-1, and now I have an XE-7 which is the same camera, except in black, not chrome. The XE (Asia), XE-1 (Europe), and XE-7 (Americas) were the identical camera released for different markets. They're great cameras.
    I think they are great too (I really like the two tone (black and chrome) of the prism area on the XE-1).

For many years, my only 35mm SLR was a Nikon FG for which I only had a couple of zooms. I was looking for some prime lenses but couldn't really afford them.

I had never thought about Minolta until father bought a couple of SRT bodies - then I started looking.

I found that I could buy Rokkor lenses for around a third of the price of the Nikkor equivalents so I bought the XE-1 with the 50mm f1.4 from a dealer and added a 28mm and a 135mm from ebay.

I am very impressed with the sharpness of these lenses. The first time I printed a 10 x 8 from a negative shot with the 50mm lens I was amazed by the amount of detail on it. It was in the same league as prints I have made from my Bronica 6 x 4.5 negatives.

I know a 10 x 8 print isn't a major challenge for a 35mm negative but I think it's enough of an enlargement to get some idea.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin