Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,901   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Generally speaking, fixed-length lenses (50mm, 135mm, or whatever) are sharper than zoom lenses that cover the same focal length (35-70mm, 70-210mm, or whatever). FWIW, a few years ago I put up a Web page with some informal tests of most of the K-mount lenses I owned at the time. Check here. In the 50mm range, I found that my Russian Helios-44K-4 was the best, at least subjectively; however, it may have benefitted from the fact that it's a 58mm lens, which produced slightly larger images than the 50mm lenses it was competing against. I didn't (and still don't) own any lens in the traditional portrait length of 85mm, although I did test three 135mm lenses. (One of these was a screw-mount lens with an adapter.) Keep in mind that lens quality can vary a lot from one sample to another, particularly when you buy used goods. A pristine version of a mediocre lens can outperform a dirty, fungus-laden sample of a lens that was superb when new.

Shooter
    35mm
    i think ill search the net to see what i can find and post it here to see what you guys think! if nothing works out then ill head to toronto to go to the henrys outlet where i got my camera, im afraid ill get confused when i go though!

Shooter
    35mm
    what do you guys think of this lens? and the price? let me know, thanks again, so much!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pentax-Chinon-1-1...ayphotohosting

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki White View Post
    what do you guys think of this lens? and the price? let me know, thanks again, so much!
    %3A50#ebayphotohosting[/url]
    Such a lens would be o.k. Your advantage at Henry's is the ability to mount used lenses on your camera body; plus easy return privileges.

I do not know, for sure, from what you have posted, if the Sigma actually fits your camera i.e whether it is a K mount. If it is, the 70 mm setting would make a good people portrait lens; and if, as Ian says, it might not be the sharpest lens on the block, that's not so much of a problem when shooting people.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pentax-Chinon-1-1...ayphotohosting
    That looks like the same Chinon model I tested in my informal lens tests; however, I can't guarantee that it really is the same model or that the one you'd get would be comparable to the one I've got.

I've not gone shopping for 50mm lenses recently, but US$35 for a 50mm lens without either front or rear caps seems a bit steep. I've bought whole cameras for about $50. In fact, if that's the sort of price you're seeing, you might check out whole K-mount cameras. Even if you pay $50 or $75, you'll then have a second body, which can be very useful -- you can load two different types of film or use one as a backup body.

Shooter
    35mm
    that sounds like a good deal, but again id be somewhat clueless when buying it, i may just head down to henrys and explain what im looking for i suppose to see what they have to say

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Such a lens would be o.k. Your advantage at Henry's is the ability to mount used lenses on your camera body; plus easy return privileges.

I do not know, for sure, from what you have posted, if the Sigma actually fits your camera i.e whether it is a K mount. If it is, the 70 mm setting would make a good people portrait lens; and if, as Ian says, it might not be the sharpest lens on the block, that's not so much of a problem when shooting people.
    I uploaded a few pictures in an album here that show portrait work with my current lens (the sigma) its okay but i want a lens that can get in closer and stay sharp I find my lens can't get a really sharp focus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I uploaded a few pictures in an album here that show portrait work with my current lens (the sigma) its okay but i want a lens that can get in closer and stay sharp I find my lens can't get a really sharp focus
    The key to sharp focus in a people picture is what is called the "catch light" in your subject's eye(s). Look closely at any sighted person and you will see it. Either focus the lens or move your camera in and out an inch or so, until that catch light is sharp. It takes some seeing and some doing but once you get the hang of it, it shall be second nature.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That Chinon lens is a decent lens, but it's way over-priced. You should be able to get a K-mount 50mm lens for under $25 including shipping on ebay. In fact, just this morning a Ricoh KR-5 (comparable to a Pentax KM or K1000) with a 50mm lens, sold for under $20 including shipping. So, for < $20, you could have gotten a comparable 50mm lens and a second K-mount body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid less than that price for a Chinon CE-4 with an f1.4 50mm, power winder and a Spotmatic body.

Those Chinon f1.7 lenses are very good, incredibly sharp, mine was stolen a few years ago unfortunately.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin