Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,652   Online: 725

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

can anyone help me with a lens question?

Hello i have a old slr camera the body is a vivitar v4000 i beleive and the lens is a sigma not sure what but it says "(some cirlce with a line through it then) 52 sigma zoom 1:35~4.5 f=28~70mm". So not sure which lenses i can add to the body, i was looking at a "CANON LENS FD 50MM 1:1.8 MADE IN JAPAN" on ebay. does the FD mean it can be added to my body or would i need a EF no idea what the difference is! anyways if anyone could let me know that would be great,thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like your lens is a Sigma 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 and takes 52mm filters. I don't know a lot about the Vivitar bodies, but the Canon FD mount lens most likely will not work. That lens is designed specifically for older Canon bodies. Your camera takes lenses with the K-Mount which is made primarily by Pentax, but with compatabile lenses from 3rd party manufacturers as well. There are TONS of good K-mount lenses on the market to choose from.

...and welcome to APUG!

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Vivitar 4000 is a K mount body. So it uses lenses for the Pentax K mount.

No Canon lens will fit on the body. The slashed circle means diameter, and shows that you need a 52mm lens cap and filters for that lens, nothing to do with the lens mount that attaches to the body.

There are plenty of options for K-mount lenses out there, made by Pentax and many others. You should also be able to use the older 42mm screw mount lenses with an adapter.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither Canon FD or EOS will work on the Vivitar v4000. Like the above posts there are plenty of K-mount lenses for your Vivitar. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It all becomes clearer after a while

Welcome to APUG, the Vivitar is a budget K mount camera but quite capable it'll get you started, and other K mount lenses are very plentiful and reasonably priced as the Pentax K monut was adopted by a number of other companies.

If you have problems -ask, there are plenty of people who can help

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks!!

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah i have a lens filter on that is a 52mm. what lens would you then recommend for a crisp sharp focus for portrait work (my friend recommended the canaon one i guess he forgot i had a different body, i find with the sigma i cant get a nice sharp focus..again thanks for all the help

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    the Pentax K monut was adopted by a number of other companies.
    Chinon, Cosina, Ricoh, and Vivitar are probably the best-known regular camera brands to use K-mount, aside from Pentax. Some others, such as Exacta, Quantary, Sears, and Zenit, also used K-mount for at least some models. Check this site for a list of cameras that used K-mount.

Note that not all cameras from (AFAIK) any manufacturer used K-mount. Earlier Pentaxes and Zenits, for instance, used M42 (screw-mount) lenses. Some manufacturers, such as Vivitar and Sigma, made (and make) lenses for a wide variety of mounts. As a general rule, the "big names" (Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, and a few others) made/make lenses only for their own mounts, but most or all of these have changed their mounts at least once. The bottom line: When buying a lens, verify what mount it uses; you can't tell just from the lens's brand. If the seller doesn't advertise the mount, steer clear unless you can positively identify the mount from photos -- and even that might be risky.

One more point: There are several variants of the K-mount. These add features such as camera control of aperture and auto-focus. For the most part, lenses with one K-mount variant can be used on all K-mount bodies, but you may lose some features. There are also occasional potential glitches; for instance, Ricoh's aperture-control system includes pins that get caught in some K-mount bodies. This specific problem can be overcome with a little celophane tape, but you could damage the lens mount if you're not aware of the issue and therefore don't take the necessary precaution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for a 50mm Pentax f1.8 or f2 K mount lens, the Chinon f1.4 & F1.8?9 lenses are also superb, I have the 1.4 and various Pentax f1.8's & an f2.

You might want a slightly longer focal length for portraits an 85 or 90mm, Vivitar made a good Series 1 90mm and Tamron had an equivalent SP (Adaptall) lens. The Tamron Adaptall's are great as the lens mount can be changed to fit various other cameras with very different lens mounts.

Start with a good 50mm standard lens it will be vastly superior to the Sigma zoom.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin