Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,619   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss Contaflex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DTC View Post
    My father has had a Contaflex Super B for over 40 years . . . The worst fault of the camera is the battery compartment door . . .
    I think that's the Contaflex Super BC. The Super B doesn't use a battery--it has a selenium cell. The Super BC uses a CdS meter and a mercury battery.

I have both cameras and just checked to be sure. Beautiful cameras, though a bit quirky.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You have what was my first 35mm camera purchased used in 1960 for $80. The Tessar lens is excellent and its a little slow as you have to use a wind knob to advance the film and lower the mirror but so what! The ability to synch at any shutter speed is very useful but getting the shutter worked on requires experience. After 20 years mine needed work for about $35 if I remember correctly. If all that's wrong is the 1 sec speed, have the speeds tested and if OK, just use it! Very very nice camera that still has a soft spot for me.
    Of course as soon as I purchased my first Nikon F, it never got much use after that.-Dick

Images
    Since the Contaflex has the 45mm lens, it could be either a Alpha or Beta, depending if it has a meter or not. These models were the cheaper model with the 3-element Pantar lens, not the 4-element 50mm Tessar. They also had their own specific wide and tele lenses that would not fit any of the other Contaflexes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contaflex_SLR Still a cool camera and still complicated as all get out to work on.

However, if it's a fixed lens model and the 'tele' lens is the Teleskop 1.7x that attaches over the fixed lens, then it's either the Model I or II, again depending if it has a meter or not. And the lens is a Tessar.
    Last edited by r-brian; 06-29-2009 at 10:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Model I

Its definitely a Model I as it has a fixed 45mm Tessar lens f2.8. I have also noticed that there is a longer than stated(in the contaflex way book)delay between the mirror flipping up and the shutter firing. I would asume this is related to the 1/2 and 1 sec settings on the shutter being slow. Funny though the B setting works perfectly.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The shuttermay be a major problem. I suggest you pack it up and send it to me to get it off your hands.

Seriously, what a fantastic find!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

contaflex

Can you fix it for me for less than $130? Actually I have been in contact with Essexx camera repair and they say they can do a CLA for $130. To all you folks out there.....am I getting a deal or the shaft? Worth it......it is to me at this point as I really like the way the camera handles, much more natural than my F3.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Images
    The standard repair cost when I worked in a camera store 12 years ago was 2 hours labor. At $130, that's just $65/hr for 2 hours, fairly cheap. Most hourly rates are more like $75-$80/hr.

Being that the Contaflex (and the old Bessamatic and Retina Reflexes) is one of the most complicated cameras to work on (and difficult to find anyone even willing to work on it), that doesn't sound excessive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That's a reasonable estimate for the work. Nearly all older cameras, especially those with leaf shutters should be serviced. After all, 50+ years is a long time for any mechanical device to run without being serviced.

It's once-in-a-lifetime work that should restore the camera to excellent condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in 1997 my father-in-law gave me his mint black Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC and 50/2.8 Pro Tessar lens. He purchased it 30 years earlier and put through only about ten rolls of film during the first 5 years he owned it and then put it in a drawer. So, because it sat for more than 20 years I sent it to Wolf Umbach who owned Z-V Service in Oriental, North Carolina. He CLA'd it and my Super BC still works beautifully today. I just called Wolf just a few minutes ago and, unfortunately, he no longer works on cameras. He also didn't know of anyone else still working on ZI Contaflex cameras these days (reliably).

I've heard good things about Essex but I didn't know they tackle Contaflex cameras. The price, $130, is right but I would ask them what their CLA involves and how they go about it. As mentioned above, these are complicated cameras to work on.

Good luck!

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more thing. If you would like to attempt working on the camera yourself, take a look at a book entitled "Restoring Classic & Collectible Cameras" by Thomas Tomosy, ISBN 0-936262-59-1. There's a detailed section on taking apart and working on a Contaflex I and a Contaflex Super, complete with photos.

Marc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin