Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,418   Online: 1013

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zeiss Contaflex

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are two complex things when servicing the Contaflex I and II:

1) Removing the prism to clean the viewfinder. It's held by wire clips.

2) Replacing the shutter. You must retension the aperture spring that is done by a star screw inside the mirror box. There are some notes on the Web regarding this. It's actually a bit easier than it seems.

I've worked on several of these, and while more complex than your average camera, they aren't impossibly difficult.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This guy is famous for Contax repairs, you might ask whether he can help your shutter:

http://www.zeisscamera.com/services.shtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more thing: the helicoids on Contaflex Tessar lenses are very soft brass. Easy to distort them, and once damaged, even by a bit, will make lens reassembly almost impossible..... Anyone know of a trick to fix a slightly damaged thread?

Mike Elek is right about the Contaflex I/II: may look a bit complicated, but if one stays clear of the complicated stuff, servicing the camera isn't as hard as it looks or sounds.

The Contaflex I (first version) had a soldered flash synch connection. This makes the disassembly a bit more difficult. Do not try to cut the wire. The later versions used pin contacts on the mount.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    Yes the SLR
    I was going to say ... the TLR goes for about $2000 over here - if you can find one to begin with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Contaflex I, which my father bought new from Sears in the early 1950s. It's a nice camera, but mine doesn't match the image quality of an FM2, for example.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin