Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,647   Online: 995

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35mm negatives

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MY Costco are very careful with my film and the cleanliness of the machines and chemical quality. Like Sirius Glass says, it's a good idea to get to know the people that work there. Sadly the Costco that's local to me is getting rid of the C41 machine in March and will only be doing printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just paid $11 at Wolf (which previously did quality work) for prints that are decidedly blue...as though they were shot through a blue filter. The film was Ektar 100. I will have to scan the negatives to see if the problem is mine or theirs, then I'm going back to have them re-printed. If Costco does decent work for a few bucks, by all means, go for it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

And of course, if you're shooting non-C41 black and white you could get started for around $200 and join the dark side. It easy to do and very self-satisfying.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want to get a film scanner be aware that a "primefilm 7520" or similar are the least-cost versions, scanning results are far below average. You might ask at www.hybridphoto.com for alternatives (they all cost a lot more money) or ask your lab whether they create Kodak Photo CDs. Price and quality are very acceptable, and you get the CD back with your negatives, no work at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I decided to give the picture CD a try from the local CVS with my last roll of film, and what I got back was basically scans done at 72dpi and sized for 4x6 prints.

The scans that my buddy did for me with his Epson V500 set to 300dpi was much higher resolution and looks much better than the 72dpi scans from the CVS, so from now on I'll probably only use that CVS to develop my film, then send the negatives to my friend to scan instead.

Shooter
    35mm
    The quality of CDs provided by minilabs varies widely. They are usually of low quality. I personally wonder if genuine Kodak picture CDs are any better than the usual fare, but I wouldn't know.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Photo CDs were much higher resolution. No one else used that as a standard and Kodak moved to the jpeg for the Kodak Picture CDs. Remember that the public and market forces chose VHS over Beta and PC over Mac.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin