Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,403   Online: 983

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Hi All,
    How much slower is the F4 than the F90 for autofocus?
    I
    Not enough so you'd notice.

The biggest thing you'll notice with the F4 AF is that it is single point - focuses on one point at center screen. Not a problem once you use the focus lock feature to focus-lock-recompose-shoot.

As far as your lenses, upgrade to Nikon in any focal lengths you like.
    Another advantage of the F4 is that it will mount and shoot almost all Nikon lenses built from 1954 till now.

Shooter
    35mm
    I own an F4s and an F90x; In my experience (limited - I've only had the F4 about 3 months, the F90x about 1 month) the F90x gives me more consistent exposures (generally using matrix metering), but is easier to carry about since the F4s is reallly solid/heavy. Having said that, using the F4 is wonderful - good viewfinder, and knobs for everything (actually, the F90x isn't bad in this regard either).

The F4s cost me about twice what the F90x cost me... I'm not sure which I actually prefer. Although the AF on the F90x is better than the f4, I'm not sure I actually like using AF I really need to get a split-image screen, I have yet to find one

[blasphemy, I know, but one of the reasons for me moving to Nikon was so that I can get a digital SLR some time in the future and re-use my lenses; so far it's proving to be quite expensive!]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So much food for thought! Thanks

F100 - I don't really think I'll see the value from this, I don't think I'd take a second AF body out with me. The system (Including the zoom lenses) has been designed as a just one lens / camera system. If that makes any sense.
    A second AF body is just for the very odd occation. I see a second MF body being more use.
    Do take everybodys point about the FM and the FE being sold for penuts, especially if they're a bit battered. Probably worth looking at.

PhotoJim - While i can mount my zooms on my FE2, the lack of any dampening to the focus makes them feel naff to use. I tend to keep the two lines seperate - using them in a pinch.

I'll have a think about getting a decent 28mm, but I do prefer things a little wider.

Thanks for the advise on the 90mm f2.5s, will have a look at them, otherwise a 55mm 3.5 might be order of the day. The 105 2.5 is a nice lens, but i rarely shoot portrait and have bought an 135mm for my previous outfits, only to find it just sits there while i use the 50mm all the time. (Except for architecture, which is a love of mine)

When i said NiMH batterys, i mean low self discharge AA rechargable batterys, I realise there were some nikon custom NiMH and should have been clearer.

Think I'll have a good look at F4's next time i'm at a camera fair. I were lusting after an F5 but as soon as i handled it i decided it was bigger than i wanted, when the F100 was cheaper and nearly as good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wishy,

My 80-200/2.8 AF has very well-dampened focus. Try one sometime. (The newer two-touch zoom may not be as pleasant; I've not used one manually.)

My 17-35 has looser focus than true MF Nikons but it's entirely tolerable. The amateur zooms tend to have much looser AF.

I get over a year on a set of AAs on my F4 by the way. Unless you use the camera very heavily, NiMH batteries are not the best choice.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PhotoJim - they're the new style low self discharge AAs, so tend to have a higher capacity than disposable batterys and the self discharge rate is about 50% after a year. Just need to charge them yearly and I save the planet. (Because shooting film is so environmentally friendly, although i see a lot of digicams filled with precious metals sitting in landfills in a few years, hardly environmentally friendly either!)

Anyway, been reading and thinking... I'm being indecisive, Help!
    The F4 seems a bit of a jack of all trades and king of none. If i want a second AF body I'll give the F100 strong consideration - don't like the weight of the F5. The matrix metering looks more basic than what I've used before, and i think i might trust it too much if i have it.
    I'm considering an F3 (Not the HP, my eyes are good, no glasses (Yet!)) - looks like a nicely build camera, my only question is what is this going to give me above the FE2? (Or indeed, an FE or an FM, which both make sense as a second body).
    If i go with an FM (the original model), i can see the limited shutter being manageable, how good is the match the led meter in comparison to a proper needle?
    One final choice, Nikon F601m - looks an absolute dog, but has matrix metering, is designed for manual focus and is cheap as you like. Can't find much info on it at all, anybody got any thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F601m doesn't matrix meter with manual focus lenses, unfortunately. Other than the fact that it has manual focusing aids, there's no advantage to having it over an actual AF F601.

The ENELOOP-style NiMHs are certainly much more useful. I'm tempted to try them myself.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Get yourself an F4s, along with a MB20 battery grip to turn your F4s into an F4 when you want to go alittle lighter & shorter. The fact that you can use pretty much any Nikon SLR lens ever made is a big plus, and I really don't find the F4s autofocus all THAT bad. Also, with the F4s you get a focus-aide (arrows & a green in-focus dot) when using manual focus lenses, and that's a big plus. (As a side-note, I use the "K" screen in my F4s, and that give me the "best of both worlds" in both MF and AF.).

As far as another lens goes, the Nikkor 105 f/2.5 lens is one to get as it's not just used for portraits.

Get an F4s...Trust me on this.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The F601m doesn't matrix meter with manual focus lenses, unfortunately. Other than the fact that it has manual focusing aids, there's no advantage to having it over an actual AF F601.

The ENELOOP-style NiMHs are certainly much more useful. I'm tempted to try them myself.
    Your right, although the logic of providing a matrix metering which only works with AF lenses on a MF Body is beyond me Strike the F601 off the list then, its not no other redeeming features.
    And yes, its ENELOOP style I'm using, they work great, and you can recharge them early, rather than "I know the batterys in the camera are going to die soon, but don't want to throw them away early, so I'd better carry spares"

Glockeman - the K screen did look to solve problems, but they seem to be ruddy difficult to get hold of. Even with the MB20 its still a heavy camera.
    One thing i did struggle to find is any details on AF-S (Internal motor) lenses, and my "G" Sigma 12-24 will be a pain to use like it is on my F90. (WHY would you remove a perfectly good aperture dial? Even with my D70 i'd rather use a proper dial than the stupid command wheels - not that it gives me the choice)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    ...glockman99 - the K screen did look to solve problems, but they seem to be ruddy difficult to get hold of. Even with the MB20 its still a heavy camera.
    Yah, the "K" screen can be hard to find (it's very popular, I'm guessing), but the one I really want (the "P" screen) is REALLY hard to find.

And yes, even with the MB20, the F4 is a pretty heavy camera, but even with the MB21, it's still not THAT heavy, as the ergonomics of the camera help with the weight quite a bit.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin