Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,504   Online: 919

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If faced with this question, I would base my decision on:

1) what flash equipment I already have (and what shoe is on the camera(s); and
    2) if flash doesn't matter, I would chose the OM2n, because it is newer, and therefore slightly more refined (very slight differences) and slightly less likely to be worn out.

In my case, I have a bunch of shoe 4s, and I have T32s, T20s and a Metz 60CT2 with Olympus adapter, so the flash considerations would cause me to choose an OM2n.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bpaties View Post
    Hmmmm ... my 2c, for what it is worth outside of Australia ...

Both models are a joy to use and carry with a selection of lenses and anyone is likely to be equally happy with both.
    Thanks for your insights, bpaties, it is always pleasant to share an interest!
    Last edited by Galah; 07-02-2009 at 12:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If faced with this question, I would base my decision on:

1) what flash equipment I already have (and what shoe is on the camera(s); and
    2) if flash doesn't matter, I would chose the OM2n, because it is newer, and therefore slightly more refined (very slight differences) and slightly less likely to be worn out.

In my case, I have a bunch of shoe 4s, and I have T32s, T20s and a Metz 60CT2 with Olympus adapter, so the flash considerations would cause me to choose an OM2n.

Matt
    Thanks for persevering with me, Matt.

Currently, I have no OM flash equipment, preferring to use "available light' with my OM's.

However, when I do need to resort to flash, I generally use my (very nice and easy to use) Olympus iS1000 ( http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwe.../is-series.htm ), which has both an excellent on-board as well as an excellent accessory flash (the G40): both of which are able to work collaborately together at the same time, and results in very satisfactory exposures, although it does rather make me feel like Buck Rogers.

Yes, all in all, the OM2n does seem a very good choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had my OM-2S for 23 1/2 years now and other than the ISO selector dial being flaky (common dirty-contacts problem every OM-2 numbered body has), it has performed flawlessly. It's due for another CLA (third one), and it'll be good to go for however long I still shoot film. It already has over 100,000 pictures taken on it.

My take is that the OM-2S is ultra-reliable if you have one that has proven to have worked over a period of time. What is happening, though, is that you'll see pristine OM-2S bodies for sale which look nice and everything, but the electronics may be either dead or almost ready to die. There was an "infant mortality" with the OM-2S and if a camera was to fail it would most likely fail within the first 50 rolls. As mine has had over 3000 rolls run through it, I'm pretty confident that it'll stay working. As "closet queens" owned by gear-heads or "I bought it for that vacation to Yosemite back in the summer of 1985", most of them have been lucky to have more than 10 rolls of film ever run through them. I consider those "high risk".

I did have the flash circuit replaced in mine. The visual indication that this has been done is that the in-viewfinder flash-ready light is red instead of green. This revised circuit changed the powering of this flash-ready light from the camera's internal batteries to the flash itself. There is voltage present on the hot-shoe pins and this voltage is used, by the revised circuit, to power the indicator light. This was a HUGE improvement in in-camera battery life for me, because of the amount of TTL-OTF flash I used.

One extremely important note about batteries. The OM-2S MUST use silver-oxides, not alkaline or lithium batteries. The OM-2S does not tolerate the voltage drop of the other batteries.

Even though I now primarily use the OM-3Ti and OM-4T(i) bodies, the OM-2S' control layout and ergonomics is superior.
    Last edited by Ken N; 07-02-2009 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In my ON 2SP, some of the sections in the display don't work anymore, making it difficult to use.
    Apart from that, great camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    I've had my OM-2S for 23 1/2 years now and other than the ISO selector dial being flaky (common dirty-contacts problem every OM-2 numbered body has), it has performed flawlessly. It's due for another CLA (third one), and it'll be good to go for however long I still shoot film. It already has over 100,000 pictures taken on it...
    ...Even though I now primarily use the OM-3Ti and OM-4T(i) bodies, the OM-2S' control layout and ergonomics is superior.

Ken, thanks for your insights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    ...Apart from that, great camera.
    Thanks for responding,QG .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "... it skips frames ..."
    "The spot meter function isn't as advanced as ..."
    "... auto exposure doesn't have the incredible range that ..."
    "program mode is pretty basic ..."
    "... tends to easily show brassing."
    "... need a good source of silver oxide batteries, because the camera really doesn't ever turn off."
    "... electrics/electronics in the camera are [...] unrepairable ..."
    "... had a couple die on me ..."
    "If the circuit dies, the camera is dead."
    "... the battery problem was a PITA ..."
    "... malfunctions of the viewfinder light and the battery charge testing circuits ..."
    "... some of the wind gears [...] and the whole camera jams up."
    "... the ISO selector dial being flaky ..."
    "... the electronics may be either dead or almost ready to die ..."
    "... did have the flash circuit replaced in mine."
    "... some of the sections in the display don't work anymore ..."

But apart from that, great camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    "... it skips frames ..."
    "The spot meter function isn't as advanced as ..."
    "... auto exposure doesn't have the incredible range that ..."
    "program mode is pretty basic ..."
    <SNIP>
    "... the electronics may be either dead or almost ready to die ..."
    "... did have the flash circuit replaced in mine."
    "... some of the sections in the display don't work anymore ..."

But apart from that, great camera!
    Hey, don't knock it... On all the cameras I've had, I've occasionally had to replace batteries and film!
    (And they all temporarily jam when the they reach the end of the film)

:-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Add that to the list.

... and still a great camera!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin