Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,129   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

The Olympus OM2-sp: any comments?

I have recently acquired an Olympus OM2-SP and would like to hear opinions of this camera from other users, please.

I have put a film through this one and have the prints, which seem -to me- to be very well exposed -using the various exposure modes available on the camera.

So far, the light meter, the exposure modes, the battery indicator, the viewfinder light, the delayed shutter release, and the audible signal all appear to be working (without shorting out the battery which, I understand, can be an issue). It came with a G Zuiko 1.4 lens, skylight filter and ready case and was in excellent cosmetic condition.

However, there was a problem: once I had it at home and put a film in it (and the camera has gone back to see what to do about it), it skips frames. That is, after taking a shot, when you wind on (manually), the "interlock" appears to malfunction. Consequently, I lost 6 frames out of 24, as the shutter didn't cock and fire before winding on to the next frame (sometimes several in a row).

This is something that was not evident without a film in the camera. Without film it appeared to work flawlessly: no winding or shutter operation issues whatever. With a second film, it just kept winding the film through without cocking the shutter, so I applied the rewind button and rescued the unexposed film for later use. At this point, the rewind button became stuck in the "down" position and the winder remained stuck in a half-way position, with the rewind button still down.

(We are now waiting to see if it can be fixed -by the supplier- or if I get my money back: there's no problems there)

Other than that, it would have appeared to be a desirable unit in excellent shape, and I'm still hoping it can be fixed.

I am inviting any comments/experiences regarding the OM2-SP from other users.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought mine new oh so many years ago, and it is certainly one of my favourite cameras. IIRC I traded in my original OM1 (non-MD) for it.

The spot meter function isn't as advanced as in something like an OM-3 or OM-4, but it is very useful.

The built in hot shoe plus OTF metering for both ambient and flash are both very good.

The aperture preferred auto exposure doesn't have the incredible range that my OM-2n has, but the range is extensive.

The program mode is pretty basic, but certainly convenient.

The camera is essentially as rugged as the other professional bodies in the Olympus system.

The camera has the proprietary off camera flash link cord connection, which works very well with my Olympus T-32 flash.

I have only two real concerns, plus one potential concern.

1) The camera only came in black, and tends to easily show brassing;

2) You need a good source of silver oxide batteries, because the camera really doesn't ever turn off. This site has worked well for me:

http://www.sr44.com/; and

3) The electrics/electronics in the camera are both robust, and unrepairable. If the main circuits go, you cannot get the camera repaired.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite OM. I have 6 or 7 of them. I've had a couple die on me over the years, however it is my easy to use "go to" camera. Usually has an 85mm f2 attached to front, however the kit that sits on the sofa in my motel room tonight also incldes the 21mm f2 Zuiko and a 17mm f3.5 Tamron. If the circuit dies, the camera is dead. Problems other than dead circuits go to zuiko.com to be made new again. Few disappointments with the OM 2S. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I picked up an absolutely ugly beater OM-2Sp which looks like it took a hammer shot to the front of the prism housing. It works great, and because of it's really ugly battle scar, it cost me around $20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Had one years ago but the battery problem was a PITA so I sold it and got an OM1
    instead.
    Now Im a Nikon guy but I must admit Im tempted by the OM3
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    From what I understand, storing the camera with the shutter set to one of the mechanical speeds (the red B or 60) will keep the battery from being drained. I've only recently acquired an OM-2S Program myself, and obviously haven't had a chance to test this fully, but it seems like it will work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    From what I understand, storing the camera with the shutter set to one of the mechanical speeds (the red B or 60) will keep the battery from being drained. I've only recently acquired an OM-2S Program myself, and obviously haven't had a chance to test this fully, but it seems like it will work.
    Agreed: from my limited experience, so far, the metering/viewfinder display switches off after 2 mins and can be reactivated by a light touch on the shutter button. Obviously, in storage, there is very little to prevent the meter being activated constantly by accidental contact with the case etc. It was recommended to me that, when in storage, the shutter be set at one of the "manual" settings (60 or B)

Other than that -in theory- the camera is supposedly a very "light" user of battery power, although I have read that malfunctions of the viewfinder light and the battery charge testing circuits can drain the battery in "one go".

Personally, in my very short experience, I had no problem with excessive battery drain.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find the wind-on problem you mention in a lot of 2S, 3, 3Ti, 4, 4T, 4Ti. What can happen eventually, is that (since the wind mechanism is not automatically latching after one wind stroke) some of the wind gears reset to a start position under spring tension, but the other wind gears catch them before they stop and the whole camera jams up. Repair involves disassembly, degreasing and rebuilding wind emchanism. John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    35mm
    PS Soeren mentioned considering purchase of OM-3. Just so you know, most of them have same battery drain as OM-2S. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for responding, especially to you, John, for your illuminating comments!

Oh, well, it doesn't appear likely that this particular copy will be "a goer" for me, but we'll see when I meet up with the seller on Friday.

He does have, also, a silver OM2 and a black OM2n, so we may swap over for one of them instead of the OM2-sp. Which one would you suggest, John?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin