Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,672   Online: 1208

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dispite what others have said, if you want lenses that work for it, check out KEH. Go to Nikon Manual Focus and then fixed focal length lenses. All of those should work and meter with your camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As they say "opinions are like a__holes, everybody's got one" The Nikkormat may be older and quirky, but when it's working properly there's not much it can't do.
    It's different ergonomics take a little getting used to much the same as the Olympus cameras.
    I guess no one is familiar with the capacitor failures in the Minoltas. It's an easy fix and it's pretty common. What's that you say it's 15 years newer than the Nikkormat? So what. They both have positives and negatives.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    As they say "opinions are like a__holes, everybody's got one" The Nikkormat may be older and quirky, but when it's working properly there's not much it can't do.
    It's different ergonomics take a little getting used to much the same as the Olympus cameras.
    I guess no one is familiar with the capacitor failures in the Minoltas. It's an easy fix and it's pretty common. What's that you say it's 15 years newer than the Nikkormat? So what. They both have positives and negatives.
    I've owned several Nikkormats, and several Minolta X-700s. And in fact, I own both systems and am very familiar with both. There's no question that both of them are quite capable cameras and can each deliver outstanding results. But If I were looking for the more capable and more practical film camera on a tight budget, the Minolta would win easily. They each can have issues, but I'm quite sure that the Minolta is the more reliable camera at this point in time, with exactly one known reliability problem that you pointed out which is easily fixed. Copal Square shutters used in Nikkormats, as has been mentioned, are not repairable when they fail - and replacing them is simply not economical. The Minolta uses modern batteries in the meter, the Nikkormat requires one of several workarounds that either involve cost or some other compromise - and the meter is far more likely to fail within the next decade or two than the Minolta's is. I'm also quite sure that the Minolta metering system is far more advanced than the Nikkormats, using fast Silicon Blue Cells, not CdS. It's not even close. And of course, the Minolta offers Aperture priority and Programmed auto-exposure & TTL flash, takes a motor or winder, and is just all around a more modern camera. And nowadays, the Minolta MC and MD lenses are simply much more economical for essentially the same quality lenses. I've actually been buying them recently because of how cheap they are for the quality.

The Nikkormat offers a strong impression of heft, and is, as you say, quite capable. But the OP was looking for the best film camera and lens options on tight budget constraints, and frankly, it's not even close - The Minolta easily wins. The only edge I could honestly give to the Nikkormat are a more retro feel with fully manual exposure.

One more thing I would add: If I were a serious user of EITHER Nikon or Minolta system, I would not be looking to use either the Nikkormat FTn, or the Minolta X-700, although the X-700 is AMONG the best choices in the Minolta system, the X-570 is better - mainly because it ditches programmed exposure mode, and replaces it with genuinely good metered manual, and in doing so, also gains complete compatibility with every Minolta manual lens made from 1962 onward. There are numerous Nikon bodies that are superior to the Nikkormat FTn, and on a tight budget, I'd be looking at the FE, FM, and FG as being much better choices.

Clean working Minolta X-570 bodies can be easily found on ebay for under $25. The Nikon choices I recommended above are more typically around $50.
    Last edited by dougjgreen; 07-01-2009 at 11:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Best" is entirely subjective.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    "Best" is entirely subjective.
    Perhaps, but best within a tightly constrained budget is not subjective at all. Because for a fixed amount of funds, you can easily buy twice as much Minolta film gear than one can get the comparable Nikon gear. These are typical ebay prices:

Examples: Minolta XD-11 ($50-70) vs. a Nikon FE-2 ($120-150)
    Minolta X-570 ($20-35) vs. a Nikon FG ($40-60)

Minolta MD Rokkor X lenses vs. Nikon AI / AIS lenses
    Minolta 80-200mm f4.5 ($25-35) vs Nikon 80-200mm f4.5 ($60-80)
    Minolta 28mm f2.8 ($25-35) vs Nikon 28mm f2.8 AI ($60-80) AIS ($150-180)
    Minolta 100mm f2.5 ($70-90) vs Nikon 105mm f2.5 ($120-160)
    Minolta 135mm f2.8 ($15-30) vs. Nikon 135mm f2.8 ($50-80)
    Minolta 200mm f3.5 ($20-30) vs. Nikon 200mm f4 ($50-80)
    Minolta mt Vivitar 70-210 S1 ($20-30) vs. Nikon mt Vivitar 70-210 S1 ($35-50)
    Minolta mt Vivitar 28-90 S1 ($25-35) vs. Nikon mt Vivitar 28-90 S1 ($40-60)

If I were to assign you to buy the BEST Nikon body + 50mm lens or the best Minolta body + 50mm lens that you could find on ebay for $25, you would find that there is no "best Nikon" in that range, because there isn't ANY Nikon in that price range - even an EM with series E lens costs more than that. But there are numerous Minoltas you could buy, including an SRT-200 or 201, almost any XG series camera, and IMHO best of all, an extremely nice and functional X-570.

Similarly, if I told you to buy the best genuine Nikon lens, or best genuine Minolta lens for $25, you would again come away empty handed in the Nikon camp (except for possibly a real beater lens prior to the AI mount) while there are PLENTY of Minolta mount lenses that could be found for under $25 - I recently picked up a near mint condition 80-200mm f4.5 MD Rokkor-X for $20. I have been consistently unsuccessful in getting a Nikkor AI 80-200mm f4.5 for under $60 within the last month.
    Last edited by dougjgreen; 07-02-2009 at 11:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    doug,
    Get over it.
    you just keep trying to justify an opinion.. Yours.
    It's still an opinion and subjective.

In the past years I've run into a couple of interesting people who got "BEST" deals.
    One is a Hasselblad 500CM w45degree finder and 120 Makro for $70 at a yard sale. It was missing the internal section of the film back and "missing parts". The other was a BLACK PAINT Leica M4 for $25 also from a yard sale. This one a mother bought for her son so he could take a basic photo course. She wanted a "good camera" She wouldn't have anything to do with trading it for anything.

I think red cars are prettier than other cars, given the proper $$$ I could give you several pages of information trying to justify it. I don't have the motivation.
    Just accept that others may not agree with you.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 07-03-2009 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The fact is, John, you put your own opinion ahead of the interests of the OP. The OP stated that they have an extremely tight budget, and there is no doubt that they can get more camera, and more lenses, in the Minolta system than in the Nikon system on an extremely tight budget. You are clearly ignoring this very straightforward statement by the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSohnly View Post
    looks like i have a winner then...I'm out of a job right now and looking for wide and/or super-wide lenses. No offense to the camera; I'm sure it's great, but I can't afford it right now.
    The OP has both a Minolta and a Nikkormat, and he's obviously looking for the one that he can get the most out of with VERY limited funds: I happen to use mostly Nikons myself, because I'm not constrained with a tight budget. But if I was, there wouldn't be any question in my mind that Minoltas would give me more for the limited bucks. Your argument is like telling someone who has $1000 for a car that they are better off with a Red Porsche 911, because you happen to like red sports cars, than they would be with a functional old Toyota. It's just plain ignorant of their real-world constraints.

The fact is, based on the market prices Nikons and Nikon lenses cost more than Minoltas and Minolta lenses. And for every $25 Nikon you can find, I can find a comparable Minolta for $10.
    Last edited by dougjgreen; 07-03-2009 at 12:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ooooooh, You are good, you are.

Shooter
    35mm
    aaaaaaand I think that wraps it all up.

Thank you all for the help and research.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin