Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,925   Online: 880
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toledo
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    87

    Lens Mount Question

    First off, I'm very new to the SLR scene. I found a Nikkormat FTn on CL for $20 and it came with the standard 50mm f/2 f-mount lens. I was told it was a good deal (not by the seller, but by some other friends online), and probably a much better camera than my Minolta X-700. Needless to say, I got the thing.

    I'm looking for a few lenses for it, but I don't understand lens mounting systems and how to look for lenses on the internet or in shops. I know it is a Nikon F-mount, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge on this subject.

    Can someone help me out and explain lens mounting systems? I'm totally in the dark.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4
    Wow that's a great deal. I have one of those. It's sitting on my desk waiting for me to get off work. As far as lenses go, any of the Nikkor non AF lenses should work, except for the G Lenses.

    http://photo.net/photodb/photo?topic...to_sel_index=0
    Last edited by ttown_jeff; 06-30-2009 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: update url of photo

  3. #3
    Rol_Lei Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamburg
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,118
    If you want to use full-aperture metering, you'll need a lens which has a "fork" on it (in the preceding post's picture, the thing at about 11 o'clock).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

  4. #4
    KenFretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    21
    …and now for the good news (It isn’t very often when you kind of question is asked I get to say that). Your Nikkormat FTn (and mine) will take any lens made by Nikon from 1959 on.

    The only problem you will have is with exposure automation. Starting in the late 1970’s, Nikon started making lens without the “rabbit ears” to engage the maximum aperture setting for the light meter. For these lenses you will need to use the stop down method of metering. See page 26 of the user manual. If you don’t have a copy you can download it from http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/n...kormat_ftn.htm.

    Have fun, it’s a great camera.

    Ken

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montgomery, Il/USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,093
    To reiterate though, you cannot use "G" lenses. They have no aperture ring.
    The older lenses will have the fork and perform well enough that most people cannot tell prints from either lens apart. It will make your life simpler to just get older lens with the fork than using stop-down metering.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSohnly View Post
    I found a Nikkormat FTn on CL for $20 and it came with the standard 50mm f/2 f-mount lens. I was told it was a good deal (not by the seller, but by some other friends online), and probably a much better camera than my Minolta X-700.
    Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING could be farther from the very obvious truth. The Nikkormat FTn is Nikons 1967 version of ubiquitous 1964 Copal technology which was shared by nearly every second tier Japanese manufacturer, and it was not ever actually even made by Nikon, but by a very credible outside shop. I own a Nikon Ftn newer than the Nikkormat and even its fragile meter system. is based on a battery which is no longer made and the rare substitutes leave much to be desired. The Copal shutter is not repairable (by design) should it break. Even is 1967 this camera was a compromise at best.

    Your X-700 is a decades newer design which avoids most of the mechanical pitfalls of both the Nikkormat shutter and meter. It is in every respect more accurate than any Nikkormat ever was, and being electronic most likely still is. It was marketed until 2007 and was the last of the MF Minolta's. The 1960's F2 50mm Nikor is no match for any of the Rokkors.

    Enjoy your $20 bargin, but enjoy it for what it is. Much better than a Minolta X-700, not a chance. Put a roll of Velvia in both and let your eyes tell you which you should find more lenses for.

    Any Minolta X series lens made since 1962 will work on the X-700. If you think you are in the dark now, just try to figure out the various permutations of the Nikon F mount, and why. I know. I own both systems. (Nikon Lenses from 21mm-600mm)

    Fred
    Last edited by Fred De Van; 06-30-2009 at 05:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toledo
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred De Van View Post
    Any Minolta X series lens made since 1962 will work on the X-700.
    Oh boy. Now I gotta find some of them too...

    Thanks for the help

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred De Van View Post
    Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING could be farther from the very obvious truth. The Nikkormat FTn is Nikons 1967 version of ubiquitous 1964 Copal technology which was shared by nearly every second tier Japanese manufacturer, and it was not ever actually even made by Nikon, but by a very credible outside shop. I own a Nikon Ftn newer than the Nikkormat and even its fragile meter system. is based on a battery which is no longer made and the rare substitutes leave much to be desired. The Copal shutter is not repairable (by design) should it break. Even is 1967 this camera was a compromise at best.

    Your X-700 is a decades newer design which avoids most of the mechanical pitfalls of both the Nikkormat shutter and meter. It is in every respect more accurate than any Nikkormat ever was, and being electronic most likely still is. It was marketed until 2007 and was the last of the MF Minolta's. The 1960's F2 50mm Nikor is no match for any of the Rokkors.

    Enjoy your $20 bargin, but enjoy it for what it is. Much better than a Minolta X-700, not a chance. Put a roll of Velvia in both and let your eyes tell you which you should find more lenses for.

    Any Minolta X series lens made since 1962 will work on the X-700. If you think you are in the dark now, just try to figure out the various permutations of the Nikon F mount, and why. I know. I own both systems. (Nikon Lenses from 21mm-600mm)

    Fred
    I was going to say that too. While the Nikkormat is nice, the Minolta X-700 is a far more advanced camera. The truth is, they are capable of taking equal photos, but the Minolta X-700 will be easier and faster to use. Although I disagree about the quality of the 50mm f2 Nikkor - it's roughly equal to the Minolta 50mm f1.7 from the same era. Across the lens lineups, some Nikons are better (105mm by far, 180mm, 55mm Micro) Some Minoltas are better (24mm by far, 16mm fisheye, 200mm) but most are equivalent quality.

    The Nikkormat is all metal, and weighs a ton - the Minolta X-700 is a mix of metal and high durability composite plastic, but I would bet it's noticeably more reliable than a 15-20 years older Nikkormat, and the Minolta's metering system is surely far superior.

    Oh, and BTW, in the used market, lenses for the Minolta cost around 1/2 or less than comparable lenses for the Nikkormat.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toledo
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjgreen View Post
    Oh, and BTW, in the used market, lenses for the Minolta cost around 1/2 or less than comparable lenses for the Nikkormat.
    looks like i have a winner then...I'm out of a job right now and looking for wide and/or super-wide lenses. No offense to the camera; I'm sure it's great, but I can't afford it right now.

    It could probably fund one of the lenses I want, if they are so cheap. What do you think I could sell it for nowadays? Anyone wanna buy a Nikkormat FTn? It comes with the flash mount and a pretty leather case...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    268
    Fully working well described Nikkormat FTn bodies sell for $30-$40 on ebay. As is poorly described ones sell for $20-$30. With the 50mm f2 lens, if the camera is completely working, and you properly describe it, you could get around $60 for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin